Fuji SD card reader that works with iPad and Lightroom CC

Anthony Wilkins

Regular
Name
Anthony Wilkins
i just got a new iPad Pro and put the new Lightroom CC on it. I was about to order a lightning connected SD card reader for it but the reviews on all of them are really low.

Does anyone use a setup like this? How does it work? Suggestions for a reader (if it does work that is)?

I use a Lexar USB card reader on my iMac with no problems, and it’s free with Lexar cards!
Not sure it’s free with all Lexar cards though!

My apologies, I misread that you want to connect to an IPad, I use the Apple SD card adapter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use the Apple sd card reader. But for raw files I need the Photoraw app to convert to jpeg before opening in Snapseed. I don’t use Lightroom cc.
I’m gradually weaning myself off raw. The Fuji jpegs are pretty forgiving in post. I find.

I have the old 32 pin Apple Camera Connect kit which included an OTG connector for USB and the SD card reader. When I got it, you cold only use it with an iPad and I used both pieces to backup RAFs and jpegs to our old third generation iPad on vacation. Now, I have an iPhone 7 Plus and a new iPad Mini, so I went to the Apple store and got an Apple 32 pin/lightning adapter and can use either device with my iPad or iPhone. Now Apple sells the SD card reader and the OTG connector separately fo $29 each, which was the same price of the 32 pin/Lightning adapter. Any way I looked at it, Apple was going to get $29 out of me. Sadly, either connector only transfers photos, no other data files. I tried the OTG connector with a thumb drive attached and the iPad doesn't see it. Also tried an SD card full of data files and the iPad didn't see them either. That's one major advantage Android, it has a file management system that acts just like any desktop or laptop computer.

i just got a new iPad Pro and put the new Lightroom CC on it. I was about to order a lightning connected SD card reader for it but the reviews on all of them are really low.

Does anyone use a setup like this? How does it work? Suggestions for a reader (if it does work that is)?

10 days ago I had received my 12.9” iPad Pro and the sd card reader directly from Apple. Works just fine. What was negative about it?

10 days ago I had received my 12.9” iPad Pro and the sd card reader directly from Apple. Works just fine. What was negative about it?
Mine works fine too. What I can’t comprehend is why it will only recognise files straight from the camera ? Can’t see why it won’t recognise a raf or jpeg transferred to an sd card from my Mac . Something I’ve wanted to do several times. I’ve had to email them to myself to get them on my iPad. I do know I could use iTunes, but if I put files on my iPad using this method, I can’t get rid (delete) them unless I re sync with iTunes. Totally garbage way of going about it.

I’ve tried my Apple adapter and it worked fine but only jpegs were transferred.

Do you mean you shoot both raw and JPEGs? In that case unfortunately only JPEGs are transferred. I only shoot raw so it doesn’t bother me, but you may want to ask Tony Northrup via Facebook. He is very helpful, he may have an answer for you. Can I ask why you shoot both? Thanks

Thanks Thomas, don’t do Facebook or any other social media. Because Apple won’t read lossless compressed, so when importing to my iMac I get to see a thumbnail whereas the raw file has a generic thumbnail, the uc-raw files import to Lr OK, saves disk space.

Yep did another test and shot uncompressed raw and yes it transferred!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Thomas, don’t do Facebook or any other social media. Because Apple won’t read lossless compressed, so when importing to my iMac I get to see a thumbnail whereas the raw file has a generic thumbnail, the uc-raw files import to Lr OK, saves disk space.

Yep did another test and shot uncompressed raw and yes it transferred!

Great! On another note, you can reach out to Tony via his website. Doesn’t need to be social media.

PS - I purchased Affinity for the iPad and it is fantastic. Anything LR can’t do, Affinity does it.
Purchased Affinity for iPad then ditched it for a refund when i discovered I couldn't save processed image to photos on my iPad.
Could only save in the cloud somewhere ! so not a lot of good as a mobile editing app in areas without 3g/4g coverage. Where i spend quite a bit of time.
Snapseed. Free and works without needing a signal.

Back