Protection SD Card Wallet Caddie

Name
Graham
I'm going on a big wildlife photography trip and have been searching for a compact SD card holder that would ideally fit in my wallet. I haven't been able to find anything compact enough.
SD Cards Caddie .jpg

I thought gluing SD card cases to a piece of .030" styrene plastic from my model making days would work. The problem is that polypropylene is a 'low energy' plastic requiring specialized adhesives. I used Scotch clear Permanent Double Sided Tape and it seems to work just fine. I cut the plastic to credit card size. Total thickness is 0.366" (9.3mm). This should let me carry 4x SD cards in my wallet so I'm never wondering where my cards are.

Amazon have one that might interest you, c £10.

Roll over image to zoom in

SMALLRIG 6 Slots Memory Card Case Holder Storage for 3 SD Cards + 2 Micro SD Cards + 1 SIM Card, Anti-Shock SD Card Holder Carrying Case Box - 2832​

That might fit the bill

Amazon have one that might interest you, c £10.

Roll over image to zoom in

SMALLRIG 6 Slots Memory Card Case Holder Storage for 3 SD Cards + 2 Micro SD Cards + 1 SIM Card, Anti-Shock SD Card Holder Carrying Case Box - 2832​

That might fit the bill
Nice, something to consider for a future trip. Thank you.

I have loads of these (because I love the shweshwe fabric) and use them for everything.
They are gently padded but weigh very little. The small ones fit two (or at a squeeze 4) spare batteries
and lots and lots of memory cards in their plastic holders.

I've got one permanently in my Lowepro travel backpack, attached via the hole in the zipper's slider to an internal pocket of the bag

Web 1500_FUJZ7901 Proto Shweshwe bags.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Web 1500_FUJA1152 Shweshwe bag holds two Fuji batteries.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Your wallet must be a lot thicker than mine, Graham. While I salute your ingenuity, there's no way I'd want to carry anything this thick in my wallet.

I'm a bit surprised the market hasn't come up with a solution to what you're seeking. That Smallrig case is interesting, but I'd personally never use/need the sim card feature... without that it could be made significantly smaller.

Here's the one such SD storage case I have, which I picked up years ago. I don't think would suit your purpose, considering it's about 5/8" thick when folded:
7D8A6A9D-1368-461C-9C4A-82FBB427E167.jpeg

C860F9B1-9888-4A35-AEB8-5FBFBDE660D4.jpeg

This case is overbuilt, IMO... I'm confident it could withstand being rolled over by an Abrams tank. Certainly something a bit less extreme could be made to fill the niche.

- K

Your wallet must be a lot thicker than mine, Graham. While I salute your ingenuity, there's no way I'd want to carry anything this thick in my wallet.

I'm a bit surprised the market hasn't come up with a solution to what you're seeking. That Smallrig case is interesting, but I'd personally never use/need the sim card feature... without that it could be made significantly smaller.

Here's the one such SD storage case I have, which I picked up years ago. I don't think would suit your purpose, considering it's about 5/8" thick when folded:
View attachment 382744
View attachment 382745

This case is overbuilt, IMO... I'm confident it could withstand being rolled over by an Abrams tank. Certainly something a bit less extreme could be made to fill the niche.

- K
I don't use a regular wallet, using a business card folder instead. For the trip I'm stripping the contents down to 2 pieces of photo ID, travel insurance card, credit card. The SD card caddie will be in the other now empty pocket of the folder. Everything will have less thickness than what I usually carry.
I have another business card folder for business cards on one side and folded bills in the other pocket. That's it for critical stuff. My passport is in one of my pants front pockets as well.
DeeJayK this is a 'zero cost' item for me to make - I had everything laying around and had to walk 10 steps for the piece of plastic sheet. The rest was within arm's reach and my desk has a cutting board fastened to it. The entire thing took all of 15 minutes to plan and execute.

Last edited:
I don't use a regular wallet, using a business card folder instead. For the trip I'm stripping the contents down to 2 pieces of photo ID, travel insurance card, credit card. The SD card caddie will be in the other now empty pocket of the folder. Everything will have less thickness than what I usually carry.
I have another business card folder for business cards on one side and folded bills in the other pocket. That's it for critical stuff. My passport is in one of my pants front pockets as well.
DeeJayK this is a 'zero cost' item for me to make - I had everything laying around and had to walk 10 steps for the piece of plastic sheet. The rest was within arm's reach and my desk has a cutting board fastened to it. The entire thing took all of 15 minutes to plan and execute.
I definitely didn't mean to imply your solution wasn't workable, Graham, only that it wouldn't be ideal for me with my wallet.

On the contrary, I think it's great that you were able to come up with a solution with items you had at hand.

- K

View attachment 382744
View attachment 382745

- K
Yes! I have two similar ones (different brand) that are purportedly waterproof and withstand a great amount of direct pressure. I've stopped using them... Too bulky ;)

Last edited:
Back