Documentary Seattle Visual Journal

They were thicker than you can see in that photo, actually. It was pretty packed. I have no frame of reference, as it's my first visit.
It's always packed when the trees are at or near "peak bloom". To the point that it's hard to get a decent photo of just the trees. Were there any Shiba inus in kimonos perched in trees for photo sessions when you were there?

- K

It's always packed when the trees are at or near "peak bloom". To the point that it's hard to get a decent photo of just the trees. Were there any Shiba inus in kimonos perched in trees for photo sessions when you were there?

- K
There might as well have been. I saw all of those elements but I can't remember if they were put together in that order :laugh1:

R0008316.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Walking commute snaps with the black Pentax MX and 50mm f1.7, on Kentmere 400. A crisp lens delivers crisper results with this film.

Image (26).jpg
Image (27).jpg
Image (31).jpg
Image (32).jpg
Image (33).jpg
Image (34).jpg
Image (35).jpg
Image (37).jpg

Wonderful thread. Has a great feel to it. All the images.
Where'd you move from Andrew? The wife and I are thinking of retiring in the PNW, most likely the Portland area.
I think that's where you were? Sounds like Seattle is agreeing with you.

Wonderful thread. Has a great feel to it. All the images.
Where'd you move from Andrew? The wife and I are thinking of retiring in the PNW, most likely the Portland area.
I think that's where you were? Sounds like Seattle is agreeing with you.
Thank you, John! I really appreciate that.

We moved from Bandon, on the southern Oregon coast, a tiny town of 3,000 people known for the golf courses. It's close to a five hours' drive to Portland... Oregon is a big, mostly empty state, and I feel that's its best quality. If you want natural beauty that's unspoilt by crowds, Oregon is it. Bandon was a popular retirement destination, especially for Californians since it's closer to the border and located on Highway 101, so many people have been through it and know about it.

That said, smalltown Oregon lacks robust infrastructure (especially on the coast, away from the Interstate), and suffers from some pretty substandard healthcare and other things you need to plan for when retiring. So Portland area is not a bad idea; the best healthcare in the state is there, as well as many more amenities. However, Portland has some very real struggles. Downtown Portland is a shadow of its former self, and still really suffering. OHSU is one of the best hospitals, located in downtown. Portland has a laid back style which is mostly pretty agreeable: much of the grunge and hipster culture which used to be associated with Seattle hangs on in Portland. Best coffee and some of the best beer you can get.

Seattle is a much more diverse, and more driven, city than Portland. So much industry has its roots here. As such, there's something to do and something to see around every corner. I don't think we'll ever experience everything that's here to experience (especially with 9-5 jobs). There's a side of me (nurtured in Oregon, no doubt) that gets a little tired of the drive here to make money and obtain status, but I don't get sucked into that. I'm happy to be an observer and get by.

If you are interested in Portland, I would recommend one of the towns on the outskirts. I was just down visiting friends over the new year's holiday. He lives in Clackamas, on the border of Happy Valley, southeast of Portland proper. I really like that area. In fact, there are numerous outlying areas that are very nice.

Incidentally, I grew up in Riverside, California, and my wife grew up in Modesto. We both moved to Oregon with our families as teens.

I lived in Portland for 17 years, it has a lot to offer, but the weather is not for everyone, including me.

I personally find the weather in socal so much nicer for every day living. If you really think about moving there, spend some real time in the winter and see if it agrees with you...

I lived in Portland for 17 years, it has a lot to offer, but the weather is not for everyone, including me.

I personally find the weather in socal so much nicer for every day living. If you really think about moving there, spend some real time in the winter and see if it agrees with you...
Rain is certainly something to consider -- rain, cloudy and dark weather. But the PNW is also a lot less snowy and icy than many parts of North America. It's no SoCal, but personally SoCal was always too hot, dry and smoggy for me. I find comfort under the rain clouds, mostly.

Thanks for the rundown Andrew. We've been looking at suburb Portland. Hillsboro, Happy Valley, and maybe across the river in Camas although I wouldn't mind the outskirts of Seattle. We've been in So Cal (Torrance and Culver City) all our lives so having a wet climate is a stretch. Thanks for the word of caution @rloewy - it's a project - we plan on keeping our So Cal house with the kids running it (project) and will likely spend at least a portion of the winter months here. We're both looking forward to an ease in congestion, concrete and the thick smell in the air. A lower frequency/tension. We love nature and the look and feel of the PNW.
And we both have cousins in Beaverton - they're married/funny story, so we'll likely spend some good, guided time there getting a lay of it.

Carry on with the images. I'm really enjoying them.

Back