Advice Wanted Second Curtain shutter and the OMD E-M1X

Wege

Regular
Howdy folks.
I am running into an issue with the EM1X and the flash releasing at the end of the 'shutter', or more accurately, I don't think that it is.
On my (very abused) G85s and GX9, there is the menu field that allows for 1st curtain and 2nd curtain shutter release.
According to the manual for the EM1X, there is also an area for 2nd curtain shutter, but it is not visible in the correct (gear icon) area.
I currently have a Yongnuo 985? flash as well as the Yn560-tx off-camera transmitter.But at no point does the 2nd (or 1st) shutter selection appear when scrolling through the menu.
Does the shutter/curtain option only appear when using a transmitter that will talk with the camera? I have shot everything with this flash in manual (there is zero TTL capability as it is a 'Nikon' mount)
It frustrates me as the G85 will still '2nd shutter curtain release' where this does not happen with the EM1X through my observations.
Image for illustration of issue (to me)- Gav in his Rover, f8, ISO800, 1sec, flash power I think was 1/4+. Notice the light trails of the headlights. In front of the car.

Attachments

• RSR56169.jpg
    RSR56169.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 167
Ah, I forgot to mention that I was in M mode - Live comp was not on.
Here is a screenshot of the back of the camera in (what I understand) is the correct area (according to the manual)
Unless I am missing something silly or obvious? This screen is present with the flash controller and without.
Cheers for the reply.
J
1681299805043.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cheers for the attempt. I almost think that the only way forward would be for a flash that is capable of doing TTL or at least a transmitter that can do the same. Which may mean Godox or Profoto. Dang it.

Hit the ‘OK’ button to bring you the Super Control Panel (SCP). There you should see the flash mode icon (highlighted in the blue box below). Select that and you will have various flash options available to you, including ‘Slow2’ which is Olympus-speak for rear curtain sync.
1681307593803.jpeg

Last edited:
Back