Fuji Seeing real-time apeture, shutter speed, iso thru viewfinder and lcd screen

duns

Regular
Name
Erik
On the Fujifilm x series cameras, can i view through the viewfinder and or lcd screen real time apeture and shutter speed, iso adjustments as the image preview that i am about to take changes darker or lighter viewed in the viewfinder or lcd screen? I seem not to know how else to describe the definition of what i am trying to describe. :/ Image preview?

Thanks

I believe so, if I understand your question. When you're looking through the EVF, and you have live preview enabled (the alternative being that the camera just shows you a nice, bright image no matter how badly you've screwed up the settings), then:

1. The image you see in the EVF adjusts as you adjust the settings - brighter, darker, in / out of focus, and depth of field will all appear in the viewfinder as they will appear in the finished image
2. If you want them, the camera will also display the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. If you have one / all of those on Auto, then there's nothing to display until you half-press the shutter, but once you do, everything locks in place and the settings you're about to expose with are displayed.

You can turn any or all of those off on either the EVF or the LCD, as well as many more options, including:

- electronic level
- focus distance with DOF scale overlaid on it
- remaining shots at current size on memory card
- jpg film simulation profile (velvia, astia, etc)
- image quality level
- EV scale, with "normal" (17 grey) in the center, and tick marks every 1/3 stop in both directions, so if you are in full manual, it will show you with a small yellow mark if you're over or under exposing according to the camera's meter mode... just the camera's 2 cents

I believe so, if I understand your question. When you're looking through the EVF, and you have live preview enabled (the alternative being that the camera just shows you a nice, bright image no matter how badly you've screwed up the settings), then:

1. The image you see in the EVF adjusts as you adjust the settings - brighter, darker, in / out of focus, and depth of field will all appear in the viewfinder as they will appear in the finished image
2. If you want them, the camera will also display the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. If you have one / all of those on Auto, then there's nothing to display until you half-press the shutter, but once you do, everything locks in place and the settings you're about to expose with are displayed.

You can turn any or all of those off on either the EVF or the LCD, as well as many more options, including:

- electronic level
- focus distance with DOF scale overlaid on it
- remaining shots at current size on memory card
- jpg film simulation profile (velvia, astia, etc)
- image quality level
- EV scale, with "normal" (17 grey) in the center, and tick marks every 1/3 stop in both directions, so if you are in full manual, it will show you with a small yellow mark if you're over or under exposing according to the camera's meter mode... just the camera's 2 cents

Correct killramsey on number 1. That is what i am wanting to know. If for an example... I am looking at the rear panel lcd or viewfinder and set my shutter speed to 1/30th and apeture to setting to f8, iso 400, i will see that thru my viewfinder and or lcd display just as it would appear as a finished print or image... Yes?? :/

Yes. Watch this...

It's a cellphone video capture of the EVF on an XE1, which is a little smaller and simpler than the newer XT1 or X100T, for example. At the bottom, the way he has it set (again you can turn things on and off) you can see going left to right across the bottom he has...

- A for Automatic
- 40 for 1/40 of a second shutter (or 60, or 100, it changes as he pans left and right, with the camera slowing down or speeding up the shutter to adjust for more/less light)
- F4.5 for the aperture, and
- ISO640

So as he pans around, watch the shutter speed change. If you clicked the shutter speed wheel, that would change as well. Ditto aperture or ISO.

Yes. Watch this...

It's a cellphone video capture of the EVF on an XE1, which is a little smaller and simpler than the newer XT1 or X100T, for example. At the bottom, the way he has it set (again you can turn things on and off) you can see going left to right across the bottom he has...

- A for Automatic
- 40 for 1/40 of a second shutter (or 60, or 100, it changes as he pans left and right, with the camera slowing down or speeding up the shutter to adjust for more/less light)
- F4.5 for the aperture, and
- ISO640

So as he pans around, watch the shutter speed change. If you clicked the shutter speed wheel, that would change as well. Ditto aperture or ISO.

Ok... :/ So if he would have changed his ISO, Apeture, that image in the viewfinder would have became brighter or darker instantly as he changed his settings?
I get that the numbers change, but does the image itself change...

duns, I don't have answer for you off the top of my head, because I usually shoot in apertrue Priority mode so the camera is always trying to give me the "proper" exposure. I can check tonight when I get home, but what you are seeking to know is often referred to as WYSIWYG......or "what you see is what you get".

Kyle, in your statement no. 1, are you saying that in manual mode, you can enable a live view that displays WYSIWYG? So that if your shooting parameters are WAAAY off that you could be looking at a black screen (or a totally white one)?

duns, I don't have answer for you off the top of my head, because I usually shoot in apertrue Priority mode so the camera is always trying to give me the "proper" exposure. I can check tonight when I get home, but what you are seeking to know is often referred to as WYSIWYG......or "what you see is what you get".

Kyle, in your statement no. 1, are you saying that in manual mode, you can enable a live view that displays WYSIWYG? So that if your shooting parameters are WAAAY off that you could be looking at a black screen (or a totally white one)?
Yes Luke yes!! This is what i am after :) :) Is this possible... ?? Very interested in what you come up with tonight Luke :) WYSIWYG is exactly what i am trying to describe! THANKS LUKE!

Also Luke... I noticed that we are almost neighbor's. Im up from you 30 or so...

The XT absolutely, positively does. WYSIWYG. If I run full manual, or change 2 of the 3 parameters in a way that will mean the camera is about to over or under expose, I see it before I ever press the shutter. I use this to great effect with the EV comp dial, constantly. Particularly on the XT, that EVF is so good and big that you can really see what you're in for BEFORE you fire. Works great.

That's a beautiful thing! YAHOOoo!!
Thanks KillRamsey. Hope that the other models can do this as well. It reminds me of what medium format cameras do. Camera at waste, screen facing up, look down, compose, adjust and cliCK! Beautiful ! They all should do this.
Hope the pro2 will have this feature and a optional battery grip with room for 2 batteries.
It is brilliant!

Yes, it is brilliant. Makes it very, very easy to run around in full manual. You dial in a sensible ISO and leave it. You dial up a shutter speed that puts you in the right basic range of apertures, and leaves you room to adjust up and down several stops. Then you put your left hand on the aperture ring on the lovely XF lens you're surely using, look through the EVF, and turn your brain off and SHOOT. You can so easily see when you need to adjust that aperture, and see the immediate effects of it as you do, that you get it exactly the way you want it down to the 1/3 of a stop, VERY quickly.

At least 95% of my shots are taken in manual mode M. It usually works great, however, I am experiencing some minor WYSIWYG issues with the 18-135 zoom lens. Stopping down 1/3 stop sometimes doesn't really show an effect (or may even brighten the EVF image and histogram).

X100t is better at doing this than the xt1? Can you explain more in detail why?

I already explained the wysiwyg features in more detail in my (p)reviews of the X30 and X100T. I doubt that Fuji will implement all of it in firmware 3 when it's released next Thursday. But at least there's a partial implementation (like color saturation control for the EVF/LCD and auto brightness for the EVF). No DR preview, though.

And (for my curiosity) try to quantify -how much- better? Because honestly I am thrilled to death with the XT. Wondering how much farther there is to go.

I can't really quantify a feature that's just missing. If you need that feature (like DR preview), not having it is really sad. If you don't need it, you might not even realize that it isn't there. ;)

Back