seeking gear advice...

Thanks for your thoughts and advice! I am eying the PEN-F with 17mm 1.8 and 30mm 3.5 macro. I may get a nice deal on that set. Despite the lack of 2 card slots, slower AF, no WR I like the design and size. The combination of focus bracketing and camera stabilization makes me prefer this combo instead of a Fuji. Having said that, I want to hold the camera in my hands before I make a final decision: I want to make sure that I can comfortably support the lens with my left hand when I shoot. After reading quite a few reviews and comparing photos, I do not think the Fuji offers sufficient IQ-advantage over the Olympus MFT to compensate the lack of focus bracketing and stabilization (for macro). LR also seems to do better with Olympus RAW files than Fuji RAW files.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice! I am eying the PEN-F with 17mm 1.8 and 30mm 3.5 macro. I may get a nice deal on that set. Despite the lack of 2 card slots, slower AF, no WR I like the design and size. The combination of focus bracketing and camera stabilization makes me prefer this combo instead of a Fuji. Having said that, I want to hold the camera in my hands before I make a final decision: I want to make sure that I can comfortably support the lens with my left hand when I shoot. After reading quite a few reviews and comparing photos, I do not think the Fuji offers sufficient IQ-advantage over the Olympus MFT to compensate the lack of focus bracketing and stabilization (for macro). LR also seems to do better with Olympus RAW files than Fuji RAW files.

I prefer the way that Olympus handles high ISO. I'd much rather have a more organic noise structure than the over done noise reduction that Fuji pushes(they even put it in the RAW files as well as not allowing RAW over ISO 6400). First hand use is always the way to go in these things.

BTW: I am also seriously tempted by the E-M1.2 with 12-40 2.8 lens. The type of macro shots with that lens do meet my needs. The 12-40 lens looks a bit big for the PEN-F.

...... while I myself still slightly prefer the OM-D gestalt, the GX80 is the camera I use for travel.........
I'm of the same mind, I prefer many things about Olympus bodies. But I like several of the Panasonic lenses and have been looking at telephotos that will benefit from dual IS. For me the GX85 grip is just OK, I liked the LX100 and GX7 grips better.

The Pen F does also have an optional grip. But you really need to check it out in person. Some like it while others find the creative control dial is too close and can irritate.

I pulled the trigger and purchased the Olympus PEN-F with Olympus 17mm 1.8 and Panasonic 30mm 2.8 macro lenses. I was curious about the out-of-the-box auto performance. So I took 2 quick shots, one at f5.6 and 1 at f11. Here is one example (nothing special, just a quick shot). Camera chose the following settings: ISO1600, 1/30sec, f11. Taken out of hand.

Some quick initials observations:
1. it is the kind of depth of field I am looking for for my 'quick and dirty' watch shots at events when I have to shoot quckly. However I must admit that I like the results of the D810 with 85mm PC-E lens at f22 better but I need to do further testing.
2. The viewfinder is indeed less visible for glass-wearers but it is diable.
3. removing the SD-card is a fight. Who did invent this????
4. the tripod holder is located at a strange location but I can live with it.
5. Getting used to 4:3 will take some time.

p2225214392-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I pulled the trigger and purchased the Olympus PEN-F with Olympus 17mm 1.8 and Panasonic 30mm 2.8 macro lenses. I was curious about the out-of-the-box auto performance. So I took 2 quick shots, one at f5.6 and 1 at f11. Here is one example (nothing special, just a quick shot). Camera chose the following settings: ISO1600, 1/30sec, f11. Taken out of hand.

Some quick initials observations:
1. it is the kind of depth of field I am looking for for my 'quick and dirty' watch shots at events when I have to shoot quckly. However I must admit that I like the results of the D810 with 85mm PC-E lens at f22 better but I need to do further testing.
2. The viewfinder is indeed less visible for glass-wearers but it is diable.
3. removing the SD-card is a fight. Who did invent this????
4. the tripod holder is located at a strange location but I can live with it.
5. Getting used to 4:3 will take some time.

View attachment 124072

If you want that kind of resolution, then put the PEN-F in high res mode and bring along a small tripod or Gorillapod. The high res mode takes barely a second more than a normal shot and I can attest that the resolution/color nad noise performance are great.

If you want that kind of resolution, then put the PEN-F in high res mode and bring along a small tripod or Gorillapod. The high res mode takes barely a second more than a normal shot and I can attest that the resolution/color nad noise performance are great.

Thanks. I will try that one instead of focus bracketing. What type of lighting do you use in such a case? LED-light?

Unless you are trying to create a specific lighting effect, you don't have to use any.

However, flash will work in hi res mode. LED lights should work fine too.

One question leads to another. I see conflicting messages about the focus stacking feature of the PEN-F. One article says it has the same feature as the M1 Mark II (with firmware v4) and another says it only has the focus bracketing functionnwhile the M1.2 has both.
Do you know if the PEN-F has focus stacking as well?
I noticed that focus bracketing is possible with the Panasonic 30mm macro lens but no focus stacking do I can't veriy myself.

One question leads to another. I see conflicting messages about the focus stacking feature of the PEN-F. One article says it has the same feature as the M1 Mark II (with firmware v4) and another says it only has the focus bracketing functionnwhile the M1.2 has both.
I noticed that focus bracketing is possible with the Panasonic 30mm macro lens but no focus stacking do I can't veriy myself.

I went back to the camera store to check. The PEN-F does NOT have the focus stacking feature. Only focus bracketing. So in post-processing you have to stack the images yourself. Usually this is fine (perhaps even the best approach) but in my case it is a disappointment. If I have to send a photo quickly for online publication, an in-camera focus stacking feature is very valuable. I do hope Olympus will include this feature in a future firmware upgrade. If not, I have to add the M1.2 or change from PEN-F to M1.2

I read in a post at steve huff's site that the PEN-F has the focusing stacking feature. Unfortunately I did not read the comments. Although I should have done so (I would have know the feature is absent) but it is a shame that they did not change the article.

Sorry, I'm actively on a 3 day photo assignment and don't get a lot of downtime to check the blogs as much. Both glad and sad that you got your answer, but it was not the answer you had hoped for.

Back