Critique Wanted Seeking your thoughts on these type of prints

pniev

Student for life
I need to make some prints and thought about doing something totally different this time. So I tried to create a sketch-look. However, I am afraid that my admiration for software developers to create these type of effects as well as my desire to try new things may cloud my judgement.

Therefore I am seeking your thoughts on these - potential - sketch-like prints. Is it ugly, inappropriate, promising, etc. etc? And, if you see potential, which 2 would you select?

p1563412729-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p1563412921-5.jpg

p1563413021-5.jpg

p1563413047-5.jpg

p1563413245-5.jpg

p1563414061-5.jpg

Last edited:
By way of explanation - #1 got me thinking, wondering, where could that be? (it's not obvious), plus many sheep are looking at you. With #5 it's hard not to take your eyes off the little guy's eyes, they're quite dominating. For me anyway, its tiny details like that which make one stand out over the other. Not a problem that they're sketched-like.

I'd print one out to see how it looks. And I'd print them out on some sort of sketch paper to try to trick the viewer a bit further. I think they would look wrong on photo paper. Maybe I'll try printing out one of my own later this afternoon. I'll report back with my findings.

I'd print one out to see how it looks. And I'd print them out on some sort of sketch paper to try to trick the viewer a bit further. I think they would look wrong on photo paper. Maybe I'll try printing out one of my own later this afternoon. I'll report back with my findings.

Much appreciated, Luke. I only have photo paper, so I need to send it to a printing service company. So any feedback before doing so would help!

1 and 4 for me. 1 just really works because of the colours and the "easily drawable" nature of the subject. 4 looks like it should've been an illustration from the start.

Generally, in the first few, the white is overwhelming. If that could be toned down a little they would look more interesting.

if your heart is set on it to print them as sketches........try to get one printed on a heavy weight textured paper as a giclee print to see how it looks. Say 320gsm Hahnemuhle rag paper or similar, Can make all the difference...as mentioned here earlier it might look hokey on ordinary paper but can look much much better on good quality textured paper.

I get mine done at onevisionimaging.com in Coventry in the UK.

Yup paper is a key factor
I use redcliffe.co.uk - they send out postcard sized samples to help selection
in your case a slightly finer texture may help - Hahnemule Albert Durer 210g

Thanks for your feedback and advice. I had not thought about paper choice for sketches! Unfortunately I only have photo paper and I do not have sufficient time for test prints, so I've decided to stick to regular photos. Chicken, I know. I will test some textured paper prints at a later stage.

Since I'm having fun with the 300mm lens and TC's, I opted for bird photos. My theme will be "the eye". I've selected these 2. Not because they're special but because attention is immediately drawn to the eye of the bird. PS: let me know if you can't see all 3 photos. Personally I only see the last one in the post (All 3 in the edit box), so I cannot check if everything is visible.

Thanks again for your help! At a later stage, I will let you know how the printing go.

p1549733014-5.jpg

p1564051126-5.jpg

I have this one as a third option. Just in case.

p1546064287-5.jpg

Last edited:
see all 3
imo far superior to the sketch type - i have yet to see a sketch program which is really convincing as a sketch
the last if i may suggest would work great with a closer crop

I prefer the photos as well. If I want to look at or buy a sketch that is what I will do. Although I do agree that the software is cool and interesting.

Back