Stroll Seen while strolling...walking and wandering outside

More than halfway through January, and this Pear sapling is still holding onto its Autumn foliage. That will likely change after this weekend's Arctic blast.

P1030308.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yeah, our temperature is expected to drop to 5F/-15C tomorrow night. I'm going to try to talk my wife into going waterfall hunting with me!
I came by a couple of interesting waterfalls with ice forming around them (temperatures here aren't as low as at your place - about -2/-3C), but couldn't get a good angle because I didn't have the right equipment to secure myself while climbing down towards the water - at least a couple of trekking poles to stop myself from slipping and for additional points of support would have been necessary, different boots and altogether better clothing would have been an additional help. Good luck with your hunt - if light allows, I'll try again tomorrow as well.

M.

Last edited:
I came by a couple of interesting waterfalls with ice forming around them (temperatures here aren't as low as at your place - about -2/-3C), but couldn't get a good angle because I didn't have the right equipment to secure myself while climbing down towards the water - at least a couple of walking sticks to stop myself from slipping and for additional points of support would have been necessary, different boots and altogether better clothing would have been an additional help. Good luck with your hunt - if light allows, I'll try again tomorrow as well.

M.
My wife has some arthritis issues, so she may not be able to go in that sort of cold, but I never take her anywhere that involves difficult terrain. We have a couple of spots we can drive to where the waterfalls aren't difficult to reach, but the drive is 2-3 hours from our house.

My wife has some arthritis issues, so she may not be able to go in that sort of cold, but I never take her anywhere that involves difficult terrain. We have a couple of spots we can drive to where the waterfalls aren't difficult to reach, but the drive is 2-3 hours from our house.
That's a long way to drive for a walk - but if the images are worth it, driving there may be, too. But I sure hope she won't have to suffer for it :) But in this case, maybe it's better to wait until you can make the trip a two-day affair and stay in a nice place for the night ...

btw. I discovered that I made a rather embarrassing miistake in my previous post: I didn't mean "walking sticks", I meant trekking poles - non-native speaker's blunder (literal translation at work there). Anyway, using those would have allowed me to tackle two passages I judged too dangerous in current conditions: mostly, but not completely frozen ground, some ice patches covered with only a very thin layer of snow ... It'd be a stroll during summer, at least in dry conditions - but I slipped and nearly fell three times today, so taking that kind of a risk simply wasn't worth it.

M.

@tonyturley and @Nuskyn put me up to it ...

Three different waterfalls along the same little river; you see the images in the order I shot them, starting with the second fall (the first image is from yesterday's walk - you see the path I followed today on the lower right).

DSC_0383.jpg

I actually went all the way to the upper fall and shot from close by, but I find this image most pleasing; the path was narrow and very slippery, so I was very happy to have my poles with me for support.

DSC_0408.jpg

Finally, just below the second fall, there's another one. I discovered that I could actually get very close; I was lying on some dry rock to shoot the next image.

DSC_0412.jpg

The last iamge shows my way back on the right side; in the background, there's the second fall again.

DSC_0415.jpg

M.

Last edited:
Back