Stroll Seen while strolling...walking and wandering outside

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
I was going to go for a bike ride at the county park this afternoon, but the creek that snakes through the fairgrounds had other ideas.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Walking around a small Oregon city this morning, I stopped for coffee at a local coffee shop whose 'logo' is....a raccoon, of all things! So, of course, I had to stop and take a photo.

View attachment 214275
Hey, it's Medford! Love the setting for the city, it's in a truly beautiful spot. Wish the town was cleaner though.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
This is such a great photograph, Matt. Everything about it - the tones, the light, the composition - I really love it.

And if you pardon my curiosity - what lens were you using to take this?
Thanks a lot, Miguel :)

That was taken with the Voigtländer Nokton 50mm f/1.5 - a lens I'm really beginning to appreciate. Its bigger brother (the Nokton f/1.2) may be technically more competent, but the images from the f/1.5 are really appealing. I bought the smaller Nokton as a travel lens, but it already has more or less* replaced the Summicron M on the M 262 because I do love the results.

It's not the first time I experience this, either: The technically dismal 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2 produces really beautiful images on the Sony A6000 - so much so that I often pick it over the "mighty" Sigma 30mm f/1.4. The Nokton f/1.5 is a much, much better lens than the 7Artisans, though - in my eyes, it's a seriously underrated gem. I'd say that most people considering the M system would be better off choosing this lens over everything Leica has to offer in the ballpark: It's a lot cheaper, not significantly bigger or heavier while being quite fast, and the images are really very nice, even technically.

*I actually just reordered my two day bags for the Ms and moved the Summicron M to the M10's bag - it's still a nice lens and much smaller and lighter than the f/1.2 for which it is a valid alternative. It's better behaved than both Noktons, too - so if technical IQ is key, it's the better pick, and as such, a good combo with the M10.

M.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2013
Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Thanks a lot, Miguel :)

That was taken with the Voigtländer Nokton 50mm f/1.5 - a lens I'm really beginning to appreciate. Its bigger brother (the Nokton f/1.2) may be technically more competent, but the images from the f/1.5 are really appealing. I bought the smaller Nokton as a travel lens, but it already has more or less* replaced the Summicron M on the M 262 because I do love the results.

It's not the first time I experience this, either: The technically dismal 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2 produces really beautiful images on the Sony A6000 - so much so that I often pick it over the "mighty" Sigma 30mm f/1.4. The Nokton f/1.5 is a much, much better lens than the 7Artisans, though - in my eyes, it's a seriously underrated gem. I'd say that most people considering the M system would be better off choosing this lens over everything Leica has to offer in the ballpark: It's a lot cheaper, not significantly bigger or heavier while being quite fast, and the images are really very nice, even technically.

*I actually just reordered my two day bags for the Ms and moved the Summicron M to the M10's bag - it's still a nice lens and much smaller and lighter than the f/1.2 for which it is a valid alternative. It's better behaved than both Noktons, too - so if technical IQ is key, it's the better pick, and as such, a good combo with the M10.

M.
Well, simply based on looking (over and over) at this one photo of yours, I would have to agree: the Nokton 50mm f/1.5 is a great lens. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts. I haven't shot with Leica's for a few decades now - not since the ancient analog-only days - but if I were to ever dip my toes back into the Leica pool, I would get one.

Your comments about the 7Artisans lens interest me as well. Sounds like another lens worth taking a look at. Some years ago I shot with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 on my Lumix's - I purchased a copy partially due to the rave reviews and partially due to my desire (at the time) for a faster 30mm focal length - but, honestly, for me the Sigma never lived up to the hype. Weirdly enough, a cheaper, and much smaller modern Sigma - the extremely compact 30mm f/2.8 - which I bought because of Kirk Tuck's reviews, was in my admittedly prejudiced opinion, a much better (and more satisfying) lens. The smaller Sigma did everything the more highly rated f/1.4 was supposed to; its only real 'defect' was giving up a few stops to its larger and more expensive sibling.

Judging lenses, at least the way I do it, often winds up being a much more subjective process than any of the reviews or reviewers I ever read. There are so many factors which go into the performance and results of a given lens on a given camera body. But - returning to the main point - your f/1.5 Nokton is a real gem.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom