Stroll Seen while strolling...walking and wandering outside

Z60_3094.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Homing pigeon home party ...

M.

That shot was with my GF2 which has supposedly been full spectrum converted (but has very poor UV response), I'd added a red (#25A) filter for that shot (as I often do). I think the colours here were straight out of the camera. I've also shot IR with quite a few other cameras - In total I have 2 full spectrum converted, 2 with removable hot mirrors & have shot IR with at least 3 unmodified cameras. I've got the bug bad ;)

Last edited:
you get great results with that camera and the added ability to change filters is a big bonus. Can I get the specs on that particular camera. And keep up the good work
Thank you.
The camera isn't ideal as it doesn't have a viewfinder (rather a pain in bright sunshine). My more recent full spectrum A7ii is now my preferred option. I was able to get a clip in hot mirror that more or less reversed the conversion allowing one camera to fill both roles. Sadly I cracked that filter (by far my most expensive) and I haven't got round to replacing it yet.
The GF2 does have the advantage of being very compact about half the size of my other MFT cameras. (I've also got several years worth of images to select from not all are in any way successful) I brought it way back in early 2014 from e-bay pre-converted & chose that particular model from the other MFT full spectrum listings because it was cheap (due to a cosmetic dent in the case). Converting my A7ii cost nearly twice what than the GF2 was.:rolleyes:

I think the 590nm (#25A) filter is my most used filter - it seems able to make an interesting shot from most situations, while some of my other options (especially those transmitting UV & IR) are highly unpredictable.

thanks for the follow up, now I pose a few questions to you. Can I use a cpl filter on my converted D70? will it cause problems? And ND filters as well? Will the images start to deteriorate if I add anything to the lens? Or use as is? Also my 720nm, can I use a 520nm or no? I'm thinking I can go higher not lower than the installed filter. Happy belated New year btw

thanks for the follow up, now I pose a few questions to you. Can I use a cpl filter on my converted D70? will it cause problems? And ND filters as well? Will the images start to deteriorate if I add anything to the lens? Or use as is? Also my 720nm, can I use a 520nm or no? I'm thinking I can go higher not lower than the installed filter. Happy belated New year btw
There are CPLs that work in IR, but I don't think any of mine do. Most normal filters (including CPLs & NDs) are fairly transparent above 750 to 800nm they'll have minimal affect on your 720nm converted camera.
Yes you're right you can go higher. Basically your conversion blocks everything below 700nm adding a red filter would have the red filter block below 550nm but the bit that gets past is still blocked internally to ~700nm

When playing with unmodified cameras for IR, I find it's pointless using anything less than 720nm, the visual portion that gets through will completely swamp any IR. The effectiveness of stock cameras is very variable, some can manage IR handheld shots, other struggle to see any IR at all. I believe your D70 before conversion would have been roughly the same as my K100d just about capable of hand held IR. One big advantage of the conversion on that is you can see through the viewfinder - I can't with the K100d when it's fitted with a 720nm filter one reason why mirrorless has a big advantage for IR.

If you have more follow up questions it might be best to ask on the extended spectrum gear portion of the forum. I'm fairly sure to see any post there, as will others who shoot IR & the replies will be easier to find in the future. :geek:

Happy new year to you too! At least I've managed to get a good start in my photographic hoarding, picking up several lenses & an adapter I was after from a local charity shop today. I should now be able to mount my M42 fisheye via a variable ND (behind the lens) to get IR only results from a lens that can't take filters. I think everything I picked up at the charity shop was less than 1/3 the price on e-bay and there's no need to wait for delivery.

Back