Stroll Seen while strolling...walking and wandering outside

Z50_3251.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M.

A few shots from this morning's drive for work. An EF3 tornado paid Gaylord, Michigan a visit the other day causing quite a ruckus. Two dead, about 45 injured and tons of property damage. Today they opened up the roads back in. Here are a few for now. I'll probably have more later when I have time to edit.
tornado goodwill.JPG

The Goodwill store is pretty much destroyed
tornado cars.JPG

Two cars in front of the goodwill store. I don't know where they started out but both were obviously pushed sideways into the wall.
tornado Hobby Lobby.JPG

This is the back of the Hobby Lobby store. The front is boarded up. This business and many others are destroyed.
tornado building.JPG

I don't know what this business was, but it's destroyed.
tornado house second floor.JPG

This had to be terrifying.
tornado houses crooked.JPG

Tornadoes are finicky. Here it picked the brown house up and dropped it, ripped the roof of the house next door, but left the hutch and what appears to be a candle inside the doorway of the house on the left.
tornado car in garage.JPG

It's nice the bike is still hanging on the wall.

There are many homes destroyed and people are wandering around cleaning up what they can and sifting through debris hoping to find lost keepsakes. Although everyone is now accounted for there is a trailer park that sustained catastrophic damage that remains closed to the public. That is where both deaths were. I'm told that 95% of the trailer park was destroyed. The images above are of what is considered permanent structures, brick and mortar, stick and metal framed buildings. I can only imagine the carnage at the trailer park.
DSC03464 (1).JPG

This was a Little Caeser's Pizza Restaurant. A couple of things are really interesting about this shot. Yopu can see the upper part of the building impaled with wood sticks, plywood pieces hurled into the mortar like ninja throwing stars, and a metal stud from another building sticking out like a javelin. The plywood you see on the windows is obviously new and was installed to simply seal the buliding up after the event because the windows were subjected to the same debris field embedded in the upper part of the building. The tornado hit at 4 in the afternoon at a pizza place. I can't fathom how terrifying it must have been for those inside this or any of these buildings.

But take a second and look at the building behind them. Untouched! Unbelievable!

A few shots from this morning's drive for work. An EF3 tornado paid Gaylord, Michigan a visit the other day causing quite a ruckus. Two dead, about 45 injured and tons of property damage. Today they opened up the roads back in. Here are a few for now. I'll probably have more later when I have time to edit.
View attachment 312207
The Goodwill store is pretty much destroyed
View attachment 312208
Two cars in front of the goodwill store. I don't know where they started out but both were obviously pushed sideways into the wall.
View attachment 312209
This is the back of the Hobby Lobby store. The front is boarded up. This business and many others are destroyed.
View attachment 312211
I don't know what this business was, but it's destroyed.
View attachment 312212
This had to be terrifying.
View attachment 312213
Tornadoes are finicky. Here it picked the brown house up and dropped it, ripped the roof of the house next door, but left the hutch and what appears to be a candle inside the doorway of the house on the left.
View attachment 312215
It's nice the bike is still hanging on the wall.

There are many homes destroyed and people are wandering around cleaning up what they can and sifting through debris hoping to find lost keepsakes. Although everyone is now accounted for there is a trailer park that sustained catastrophic damage that remains closed to the public. That is where both deaths were. I'm told that 95% of the trailer park was destroyed. The images above are of what is considered permanent structures, brick and mortar, stick and metal framed buildings. I can only imagine the carnage at the trailer park.View attachment 312218
This was a Little Caeser's Pizza Restaurant. A couple of things are really interesting about this shot. Yopu can see the upper part of the building impaled with wood sticks, plywood pieces hurled into the mortar like ninja throwing stars, and a metal stud from another building sticking out like a javelin. The plywood you see on the windows is obviously new and was installed to simply seal the buliding up after the event because the windows were subjected to the same debris field embedded in the upper part of the building. The tornado hit at 4 in the afternoon at a pizza place. I can't fathom how terrifying it must have been for those inside this or any of these buildings.

But take a second and look at the building behind them. Untouched! Unbelievable!
This is really awful destruction. I grew up in Norman, Oklahoma (National Weather Center and National Severe Storms Laboratory headquarters), so have seen this often, but it is still terrible. I have read, but am no expert, that the capricious destruction seen after a tornado is due to the smaller vortices that they generate. There is the main funnel often plowing up wide swaths, but nearby are other, smaller vortices which themselves do damage (or not) depending on where they are.

Back