Stroll Seen while strolling...walking and wandering outside

In my corner of the world, I do not think I have ever seen harnesses in use just to be up on a roof. I've been up there many times myself, either cleaning clogged gutters or putting up Christmas decorations. Unless you have a very steep roof, and here they would build up scaffolding for that, or are not wearing sensible shoes/boots, it is not really very dangerous in my opinion. It is much riskier getting off/on the ladder to get up there.

Here at least asphalt shingles are by far the most common, and such work is difficult in the weather, messy and hard on clothing, and can be quite smelly. I talked with the owner of the company that put my original shingles on. He would not let his kids work for his company. While he appreciated that he had done well, he did not want to subject them to a lifetime of dealing with it all. I only did my own roof once many years ago, yet totally understand what he was saying.

Yeah sorry "here" is the northern US, specifically North Dakota - near the middle of the continent.

The asphalt shingles (or at least that is what they are called) commonly used here on residences are fireproof. Other types are around of course - one of my neighbors has recently installed a metal roof. But asphalt/composites are the most common by far, and generally hold up well against a highly variable climate.

2022-05-27 (Fri) 17-14-28.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm asking the exact same questions!
nobody wears harnesses for roof work over here either.
Talking about roofs on houses, 1,5 to 2 stories high.
For instance installing solar panels. Lots of that kind of activity around.
The kid is something else. No roof worker would take his kids to work. But he's sitting quietly and safely there. Close to the adult.
I would think he's safer there nowadays than playing on the streets.
On the other hand, I spent lot's of time on our (flat) roofs :)
Unlike my elder brother who was discovered once, walking the roof gutter. It was a 19th century building, easily 10 m high
He was about twice the age of that boy then.

Back