Stroll Seen while strolling...walking and wandering outside

On the Kingsbridge estuary

1070516.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Frosty bench with a far reaching outlook

In the distance to the left my local town of Kingsbridge, in the centre the "village" of West Charleton (with much recent housing development), to the right of that and hidden by the rising land my own village of East Charleton, comprising some 30 houses.

1070521.jpg

Quiet reflection on the estuary

1070589.jpg

At working laying new moorings

Panasonic GH2 with 14-45mm Panasonic zoom

Barrie

There is something very special about this image I really like ... but it's not there yet, beacoup potential, needs a bit more processing to separate the background from the foreground (a bit of burning should go a long way).

Thanks Gary,
I agree that the subject and background are competing for the eye, but I just gave up on the image. I actually don't care for it very much. It's what happens when you shoot something to please someone other than yourself. It was a lesson I'm glad to have learned. I have many images with much less potential that I enjoy much more.

When I parked my Land Rover (far right) in the car park at Snapes Point this morning it was the only vehicle there, when I got back it had been joined by some friends, including a fairly elderly one.

1070602_edit.jpg

Barrie

Barrie - I want one - my wife says I'm mad - my son says yes, my daughter agrees with my wife

I fancy this one

Describes as Defender 110 TITHONUS, Ex-military

photo3-42.jpg

more info

fully refurbished (by the military) 110 defender FFR (fitted for radio)
The MOD called the life extension project for in service landrovers, PROJECT TITHONUS and the idea was to extend the service life from 20 to 30 years. They did this by selecting the very best 110s available (no 90 models were considered for the project) and basically rebuilding them from the chassis up! at an average cost of £9000 (Some were rumoured to have cost £12000)
This consisted of:-

Body off, inspect and replace damaged panels full bare metal respray (this recieved new doors, bonnet, wings and rear tub!)
New engine and gearbox
chassis strip and re-preservation
new wolf wheels and tyres
sound proofing throughout
new exmoor trim seats front and rear with inertia seat belts
internal rollcage extending externally for driver and passenger protection
composite fibre hard top
rear tub strengthener sections to protect rear passengers
new brakes and suspension
chequer plate to bonnet and wing tops and also to the modesty covers
this one has also had a new fuel tank

After spending the tax payers hard earned, what did the MOD do with these as new defenders? sold them on!!!

Luke, love that berries shot! I think I prefer the current version over a hypothetical version with more background blur, this one really shows that there's a whole cloud of berries behind the couple that are in focus.

Barrie, it makes perfect sense for you to drive a land rover :) cool car!

Bill, that one would stand out in a crowd of Land Rovers (what's a collective name for a crowd of Land Rovers?). There's one important feature missing in my book, having climbed in and out of other Landies without side steps, my experience suggests that side steps are worth there weight in gold, you'll see that mine is down. With that feature getting into the beast is so much easier. I'd always wanted one, but whilst my mother was still alive when I visited her to take her shopping I'd have needed a pair of steps so she could get into the thing. Not exactly cheap to run, but I only drive a few thousand miles each year, mostly on country lanes. You get much more respect from drivers of commercial vehicles and as for tourists driving in the middle of our already narrow roads, they take fright when they see you coming :)

Barrie

Thanks Barrie

we thought about it for "off roading" out here in France - my 4x4 Yeti, (now with winter tyres), is fun but I would not take it anywhere near real mud and water

But, I've come up against one major problem - our French friends, (I'm being polite), at the mines, (the re registration place) - as soon as they see modifications they say no - and I am not sure if they are fond of the word "ex UK military" when it comes to vehicles.

As I am getting back to the UK more these days - keeping it there and having fun in the New Forest, (there is an off road club about 10 miles from where my son lives which is not at all expensive - £10 to £20 for the day per driver), is an option - son's = yes, son's girlfriend = yes ............ the other two, my wife and daughter think I'm mad ....... plus the vehicle is quite "north of the border" and I'd have to fly up there and drive it back .... to Winchester which could be quite a journey! - power steering can be fitted for £500, I'm told .... I'm still pondering - to me it is unique and maybe a bargain at 75% of the MOD rebuild cost ....... ????

I've been "out of action" for a few months for various reasons ........ hoping to get back "snapping" ........ leaves are all off the trees and winter is approaching ......... but nothing out there today .... cold and miserable

Bill, it's great to see you back on and off the road! I haven't been able to be around much myself lately...but when I can stop in it always does my heart good to see old and newer friends - and their pictures.

Glad you're still enjoying your vehicles!:D

Back