Stroll Seen while strolling...walking and wandering outside

8E79E2E5-104F-4247-8D0F-F68ADDAAF94C.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

@MoonMind please can you tell us a bit more about these birth poles? I have attempted to google, but found nothing helpful
Is it a Swiss custom?

I am curious about it as well. I have heard of a custom about building construction where dead Christmas trees decorated with red and white ribbons are put on poles and when they are brown and withered and the roof is finally on, it is time for a big celebration. I’ve never seen it but I remember my uncle talking about it once when I was a kid. Is that what this is for? The new tobacco barn?

It may well be a custom or be in the process of becoming one: Whenever a child is born, people (friends of the family, relatives) put up birth signs and, especially out in the country, high poles with pictures, name signs and all sorts of decorations. They look like improvised maypoles, but can also be very elaborate, and there are people who're making a business from producing the signs. When I was younger, all this was hardly a thing, today, it can verge on the excessive (I counted at least eight such poles in this case, not all are visible in the image).

M.

It may well be a custom or be in the process of becoming one: Whenever a child is born, people (friends of the family, relatives) put up birth signs and, especially out in the country, high poles with pictures, name signs and all sorts of decorations. They look like improvised maypoles, but can also be very elaborate, and there are people who're making a business from producing the signs. When I was younger, all this was hardly a thing, today, it can verge on the excessive (I counted at least eight such poles in this case, not all are visible in the image).

M.
Well that's really interesting (in this day and age of social media especially - it's a bit like smoke signals, LOL)
Is there a specifically designated area where these are erected? How long do they leave them there?
They don't seem to be in people's own gardens, looking at your picture

Well that's really interesting (in this day and age of social media especially - it's a bit like smoke signals, LOL)
Is there a specifically designated area where these are erected? How long do they leave them there?
They don't seem to be in people's own gardens, looking at your picture
It's up to the family to take them down - they often keep them for years. And yes, usually, they're in people's gardens or at least in front of the house - the scene in the image is special: Lots of space on a farm, and obviously lots of people and/or groups/societies who wanted to make a contribution ... In cities, signs often have to suffice - no place for poles.

You're right, it's kind of strange - but not in a bad way, I have to say.

M.

It's up to the family to take them down - they often keep them for years. And yes, usually, they're in people's gardens or at least in front of the house - the scene in the image is special: Lots of space on a farm, and obviously lots of people and/or groups/societies who wanted to make a contribution ... In cities, signs often have to suffice - no place for poles.

You're right, it's kind of strange - but not in a bad way, I have to say.

M.
Another kind of bush telegraph ... :) .

Back