Stroll Seen while strolling...walking and wandering outside

The Logness Monster ...

Leica Digilux 2_00448.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Couple of fruit at home .....

Need to get the netting on before the birds start gobbling them, or worse, just pecking randomly.

P2190094 Grapes.jpg

The citrus have loved all the rain - looks to be a bumper crop.
P2190096 Green mandarins.jpg

Apple sculpture at Flaxmere Park.

P2190098 Apple sculpture.jpg

Fountain at Flaxmere park
P2190099 Flaxmere fountain.jpg

Apple on tree stump. Possibly someone feeling cynical, as many orchardists have lost not only their homes, but also their livelihood, in the recent cyclone Gabrielle.

P2190101 Apple on tree stump.jpg

Walked at the Dog Park which was severely flooded in Gabrielle last week. Most of the water has drained away, but lots of damage, and silt everywhere. As I've probably already said, this is minor compared to the devastation just a few metres away, and throughout Hawkes Bay, Tairawhiti, Auckland and Northland. Some of the patients in the ward where I work are broken, because their adult children have lost homes and livelihood, and had to be rescued from their roofs. It is heart breaking to see ....

My dog ran into the silty mud so I washed his legs when we got home. Here is the bath afterwards!

P2200198 Silted bath.jpg

silt up to where I am standing, and the orange line shows the height of the flood!
P2200103 Flax bridge approach.jpg

P2200116 Orange high flood line.jpg

P2200127 Bridge mid island.jpg

P2200134 Apples tree down bins.jpg

P2200151 Pakowhai Park.jpg

P2200161 Pakowhai Park.jpg

P2200168 Pakowhai Park.jpg

Walked at the Dog Park which was severely flooded in Gabrielle last week. Most of the water has drained away, but lots of damage, and silt everywhere. As I've probably already said, this is minor compared to the devastation just a few metres away, and throughout Hawkes Bay, Tairawhiti, Auckland and Northland. Some of the patients in the ward where I work are broken, because their adult children have lost homes and livelihood, and had to be rescued from their roofs. It is heart breaking to see ....

My dog ran into the silty mud so I washed his legs when we got home. Here is the bath afterwards!

View attachment 367250

silt up to where I am standing, and the orange line shows the height of the flood!View attachment 367252

View attachment 367253

View attachment 367254

View attachment 367255

View attachment 367256

View attachment 367258

View attachment 367259

I can't begin to say how sad all this makes me. If you have Facebook, and are interested, search Shellie Evans, as she has gathered together many many photos to share. But be prepared to be shocked. Link here - please delete if not appropriate: https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=shellie evans photography

Weird as I can still see it, but no matter. Here maybe?

And here: Shellie Evans Photography

You can see why we are so upset, even those who are not directly affected. And why my patients feel so useless that their adult children have lost their homes and livelihood.

Weird as I can still see it, but no matter. Here maybe?

And here: Shellie Evans Photography

You can see why we are so upset, even those who are not directly affected. And why my patients feel so useless that their adult children have lost their homes and livelihood.
That's awful, Rose.

The awesome power of Mother Nature.

A cyclone is capable of picking up 1,000,000 tons of water per second (Stephens "Age of Power").

I've sat through more than one when I lived in SE Queensland in my youth. Steady winds of 130 mph, gusts estimated to be over 170 mph. Pretty terrifying!

Heather and I are thinking of you all. Hope that most of those who are missing are OK. Sorry that some of them won't be ... :( .

That's awful, Rose.

The awesome power of Mother Nature.

A cyclone is capable of picking up 1,000,000 tons of water per second (Stephens "Age of Power").

I've sat through more than one when I lived in SE Queensland in my youth. Steady winds of 130 mph, gusts estimated to be over 170 mph. Pretty terrifying!

Heather and I are thinking of you all. Hope that most of those who are missing are OK. Sorry that some of them won't be ... :( .

Thanks John - I am one of the lucky ones who was not directly affected, or if so, in a very minor way.

It has been horrible being at work and hearing the harrowing stories of my colleagues, having to be evacuated,, or in some instances, rescued from roofs. In other cases, not able to get home from work for days ..... very humbling. And to see vulnerable patients so upset .....

Unfortunately the general opinion is, that while this was a fierce cyclone, the damage has been greatly exacerbated by Forestry in many areas, planting pine trees which poison the land, and unsustainable practices, resulting in all this slash and silt, which damages infrastructure.s. There has been previous calls for this to be looked at ....... It adds to the bitter taste that this is food producing land in many cases, sold to overseas companies for carbon credits. I think local councils also have played a part when clearing willow on river banks, and leaving it piled as high as a house, so when a big flood occurs, it gets torn down and redeposited randomly at bridges etc.

Back