Stroll Seen while strolling...walking and wandering outside

_DSC3108.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Went over to Haumoana today to walk the dog, as lots of local place are closed after Gabrielle. While I expected changes I was shocked at just how much it has changed!

Slash on the beach, from poor forestry practice, and the cause of many bridges being washed out during Gabrielle.

P2240249 Slash on the beach and changed coast line.jpg

Gravel and slash on the road into the domain. Closed needless to say. Had to travel quite a way up the beach to get over here. I have been coming out here for years, and often after a storm, but have never seen it like this before

P2240273 What was a little creek.jpg
P2240255 Slash and gravel on the road to the domain and car park.jpg

Trying to show how far the slash had to travel. Of course it gets deposited at high tide as well, and then washes over in a storm.

P2240257 Trying to show the distance and height the slash had to travel.jpg

There was a small creek here.
P2240273 What was a little creek.jpg

Changed land/seascape

P2240268 Little waterfall to new pool.jpg

P2240272 Change of landscape.jpg

On the river side - Tukituki

P2240280 River side area.jpg

Flax showing why it should be more widely planted. Flattened but living, and holding the ground together.

P2240283 Flattened flax but still alive.jpg

Went over to Haumoana today to walk the dog, as lots of local place are closed after Gabrielle. While I expected changes I was shocked at just how much it has changed!

Slash on the beach, from poor forestry practice, and the cause of many bridges being washed out during Gabrielle.

View attachment 368257

Gravel and slash on the road into the domain. Closed needless to say. Had to travel quite a way up the beach to get over here. I have been coming out here for years, and often after a storm, but have never seen it like this before

View attachment 368260.
View attachment 368258

Trying to show how far the slash had to travel. Of course it gets deposited at high tide as well, and then washes over in a storm.

View attachment 368259

There was a small creek here.View attachment 368260

Changed land/seascape

View attachment 368261

View attachment 368262

On the river side - Tukituki

View attachment 368263

Flax showing why it should be more widely planted. Flattened but living, and holding the ground together.

View attachment 368264
Brings to mind how frighteningly quick the recovery was in Asia after the 2004 tsunami (it took 3 days in one part of Thailand I recall to get the tourist beach back to what it was before the disaster). Obviously, circumstances and conditions between there and NZ are different in many ways.

Brings to mind how frighteningly quick the recovery was in Asia after the 2004 tsunami (it took 3 days in one part of Thailand I recall to get the tourist beach back to what it was before the disaster). Obviously, circumstances and conditions between there and NZ are different in many ways.

Esk Valley especially and Pakowhai, both badly affected, and nowhere near recovery. And now more heavy rain, and people in Esk Valley evacuated again today. Local stores have sold out of torches, generators, and battery powered radios. People are frightened now .... it's truly awful. My bosses daughter, a new grad nurse, lost everything.

That might not be a bad thing but on condition it's done well - I've seen this done in a lot of cities where it's made clear what the site used to be and where this is incorporated into the new site, where the character of the old site very much remains, it does work well.
We'll see. I'll keep posting. 😀
The thing is, I love railway and anything connected with it, so it is a bit disappointing to see it disappear.

View attachment 368471

China's image of Switzerland ...

M.
Okay, I think I'd better explain: If you ever get to visit Lucerne, you may want to avoid this place - "Schwanenplatz". This is where busses disgorge their load of Asian, i.e. overwhelmingly Chinese tourists - and invariably, they'll be made to visit the luxury watch brand shops before they move on. They only stay for a couple of hours, at least one of which they are inside those shops; they also tend to clog all surrounding streets and alleyways and generally make quite a nuisance of themselves, especially in the eyes of the locals. I guess tourists everywhere show the same noxious behaviour - however, this fixation with luxury watches is truely a Chinese thing (or maybe Asian?).

M.

Back