Stroll Seen while strolling...walking and wandering outside

Web 1500_FUJZ6540 Fish_Dnz.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yes. It is refreshing to have a camera that is just stills with no thought to video or hybrid.

The gear is cheap and just works as I would want it to. Even at almost 20 years old, it is still very capable and most of all, fun to use.
Mate, you are making me think of what lens could live on my E-1, and using it for the first time in years. Perhaps the 14-54 MkII? The 14-54 MkI was its "kit lens". Faster lenses really helped these older cameras, with their relatively restricted high ISO settings.

Even the high ISOs (ISO 800, in those days!) has greatly improved with much later PP s/w. I'm talking from Photoshop 7 through CS6, and now the latest Photoshop CC. It's been years since I experimented with any of these RAWs.

Which software are you using with it, Andrew?

Lightroom
Hmmmm. I'm not a Lightroom user myself, could never get along with it, but it should be using the same, or similar, NR algorithms as Photoshop, which I do use.

Maybe there's just something about the Maxxum RAW files that LR doesn't like?

PS certainly improved very considerably with my E-1 RAWs. Instead of ISO 3200 adding a whole new meaning to the phrase "coloured photography", decently exposed files (but noisy as hell!) scrub up OK (i.e. usable).

Clive today, to the Richmond Road Reserve car park. While I should not be, after twelve days since the cyclone, I am still shocked at the debris and slash everywhere. At work today, as well, talking to friends who grew up in some of the most devastated areas, and they are in a state of grief and shock. Still many areas are isolated and with out power and supplies, except by helicopter, as so many bridges were washed out ....

There was talk of bailey bridges, and they have been shipped into the area, but no signs of being erected. Perhaps there's still too much water about, and now a heavy rain warning, and already, some heavy rain this afternoon.

P2270351 Richmond Road Reserve car park.jpg
P2270352 Richmond Road Reserve car park.jpg
P2270353 Richmond Road Reserve car park.jpg
P2270354 Richmond Road Reserve car park.jpg
P2270355 Richmond road Reserve car park.jpg
P2270356 Richmond Road Reserve car park.jpg

Tsunami Bar, or Da Bach. For years there has been a driftwood structure on the beach at Clive. It was burnt down by some teenagers several years ago, and rebuilt, and from time to time, huge seas have damaged it. This time it has practically been buried .....
P2270360 Duffy and remains tsunami bar.jpg
P2270362 remains of Tsunami Bar.jpg
P2270363 Tsunami Bar under slash.jpg
P2270364_DxO.jpg
P2270366_DxO.jpg
P2270367_DxO.jpg
P2270375_DxO.jpg
P2270376_DxO.jpg
P2270377_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm. I'm not a Lightroom user myself, could never get along with it, but it should be using the same, or similar, NR algorithms as Photoshop, which I do use.

Maybe there's just something about the Maxxum RAW files that LR doesn't like?

PS certainly improved very considerably with my E-1 RAWs. Instead of ISO 3200 adding a whole new meaning to the phrase "coloured photography", decently exposed files (but noisy as hell!) scrub up OK (i.e. usable).
I use Lightroom but not for noise reduction, except the default color noise. The rest I do after exporting a tiff to Photoshop, where I find noise reduction more fine tuned, and where I can always do it on a separate layer and adjust opacity if push comes to shove. It has definitely gotten better over time. In the old days I used Neat Image, but a third party app is no longer necessary. I admittedly have a fairly high tolerance for luminance noise; it's the color noise that makes me twitchy.

Back