Stroll Seen while strolling...walking and wandering outside

Magnification! Duh - thanks for that tip. I'll use the tripod next time for accuracy, and try magnifying the image, as it is a bit frustrating not to get focus where I want it. Being slowed down doesn't usually bother me, as I consider it a mindfulness exercise, but today wanted to walk the dog in case it started raining in earnest again - had been at work, so limited daylight in this dull autum,

But I do love the rendering - and every time I use either of my Minolta lenses I am surprised I don't use them more! Silly really. Sometimes I'll have one on the camera as a walk around which is always interesting - having to zoom the feet, and sometimes miss an image if I can't get back far enough. My other Minolta is a 58 f/1.7 I think.
The framing thing is one of the few downsides with :mu43: - you almost always end up with some kind of tele lens if you use old film lenses; even wide-angle lenses turn into long normals ... One more thing that I appreciate in my Nikon Z bodies: You can use old glass as it was intended to be used.

That said, using an old 50mm lens transforms that one in kind of a close-focusing short tele - if close-up quality is decent enough, you get one heck of a deal.

On a related note, I played around with my old Nikon 1 V1 yesterday - and I really regret never getting the FT1 adapter; imagine a 60mm f/2.8G or 70-200mm f/4G with 2.7 crop factor and super-fast AF ... 3:1 (not 1:3) magnification?! A 540mm f/4 with 1m MFD?! Unfortunately, those adapters are still quite expensive - if you can get them at all; while I'm willing to spend quite a bit on lenses and adapters I'm going to use regularily, I don't want to heap up expensive stuff I'll only use very rarely. Been there, done that.

A dumb adapter might be the way to go. Something to think about. But not right now. I have more than enough stuff to get to the bottom of at the moment.

M.

The framing thing is one of the few downsides with :mu43: - you almost always end up with some kind of tele lens if you use old film lenses; even wide-angle lenses turn into long normals ... One more thing that I appreciate in my Nikon Z bodies: You can use old glass as it was intended to be used.

That said, using an old 50mm lens transforms that one in kind of a close-focusing short tele - if close-up quality is decent enough, you get one heck of a deal.

On a related note, I played around with my old Nikon 1 V1 yesterday - and I really regret never getting the FT1 adapter; imagine a 60mm f/2.8G or 70-200mm f/4G with 2.7 crop factor and super-fast AF ... 3:1 (not 1:3) magnification?! A 540mm f/4 with 1m MFD?! Unfortunately, those adapters are still quite expensive - if you can get them at all; while I'm willing to spend quite a bit on lenses and adapters I'm going to use regularily, I don't want to heap up expensive stuff I'll only use very rarely. Been there, done that.

A dumb adapter might be the way to go. Something to think about. But not right now. I have more than enough stuff to get to the bottom of at the moment.

M.

I'm assuming there's some basic difference with Nikon which means legacy lens perform as intended ..... will need to Google some time.

I have a few legacy lenses, which doing the SiF has reignited my interest in - simply because I used a lens I don't use often, and really enjoyed some of the effects.

So - I really appreciate you organising the challenges, as it is just what I needed. I used to challenge myself to try different things eg HDR, different focal length, etc, but have been unmotivated, and even although I was barely personally affected by Gabrielle, it has been a huge shock to see people I know having to swim for their lives, lose their house, living and pets. We've all been asked also to not travel unless essential, and the parks I usually walk in are closed, so it has been difficult to know where to walk. The challenges have made me take the camera, and even get out a legacy lens!

So thank you :)

P2285111.1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back