Stroll Seen while strolling...walking and wandering outside

Sorry to hear that. I view your images as distinct, so look forward to seeing what you replace the D90 with.
Much appreciated, raynonn!

I'm actually trying to find some cause/solution for this problem. I might have found a problem with the camera, and it could be that the aperture lever is not working properly. It will fire without the lens, but, when I put my AF-D lens on, (I tried two of them) it gets stuck. So, I put my modified Helios on, and it appears to be working.
So, technically, it's not totally dead yet. I have to ask around about this aperture lever problem. Now, I have a manual lens platform in my D90!

Last edited:

I'm actually trying to find some cause/solution for this problem. I might have found a problem with the camera, and it could that the aperture lever is not working properly. It will fire without the lens, but, when I put my AF-D lens on, (I tried two of them) it gets stuck. So, I put my modified Helios on, and it appears to be working.
So, technically, it's not totally dead yet. I have to ask around about this aperture lever problem. Now, I have a manual lens platform in my D90!
Let's hope @Brian 's reading this!

I'm actually trying to find some cause/solution for this problem. I might have found a problem with the camera, and it could be that the aperture lever is not working properly. It will fire without the lens, but, when I put my AF-D lens on, (I tried two of them) it gets stuck. So, I put my modified Helios on, and it appears to be working.
Can you see the action on the Aperture actuation lever looking at it?
Is it bent at all?
With the Lens stopped all the way down, when you mount the lens on the camera, you should see the aperture blades open up as the lever of the camera pushed back on the lever of the lens. Nikon lenses stay open until stopped down once on the camera.

It sounds like the lever could be bent, or the mechanism has failed. I've never had that happen.

Can you see the action on the Aperture actuation lever looking at it?
Is it bent at all?
With the Lens stopped all the way down, when you mount the lens on the camera, you should see the aperture blades open up as the lever of the camera pushed back on the lever of the lens. Nikon lenses stay open until stopped down once on the camera.

It sounds like the lever could be bent, or the mechanism has failed. I've never had that happen.
It looks normal to me. It recoils when I press the shutter, without the lens. I never paid too much attention to this lever, to be honest. It changes shutter speeds in aperture mode, so I reckon it must be that the spring or some other part has weakened! Though, I don't get why it affects the shutter mechanism itself.

Last edited:
Take heart, even a stopped clock is right at least once a day.

D0000234c.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is the last image from my D90. Shutter/mirror mechanism finally gave up. This is few frames upwards of 153000 actuations. It served me well since December 2015.
View attachment 385180
Sorry to hear that, Mladen. That's a bummer.

Can you buy a second hand, low mileage one to replace it?
The D90 is a really nice camera, very like my Olympus E-510 in size, etc.

I might go for a d200 or something like that. I love these "old" cameras for their character.
The D200 sat on my "to buy" list for nearly 18 months before I got seduced by the Olympus E-510. Size was my main concern then, along with IBIS and dust reduction.

You may well find that the D200 offers little by way of IQ over your D90, but build quality is another level, as is size/weight.

Keep in mind that one thing the D200 and the E-510 have in common is very low DR in their JPEGs. About 7.6 stops and 7.3 stops respectively.

RAW DR is a whole other ballgame. The D200 gets to around 11+ stops and the E-510 to around 9.7, IIRC. Both significantly better with RAW files.

There are also very few native APS lenses for the D200, which was always a bummer.

Back