Leica Selecting BW on camera and having Lightroom Color

Lanc

Greetings

I have a question…. I set my M(240) for B&W film type and when I take a photo the image on the camera screen is in B&W. When I download/import to Lightroom the images are in color and I must change them to B&W. Shouldn’t the images be in B&W when imported to Lightroom or is everything from the camera in color and the B&W settings are a hoax?

Yes the question is seems dumb but when my closest dealer is almost 200 miles away…. and I am going from film to digital for the first time

Argentine church.jpg
Thanx for the assistance.

most every other camera either provides raw + jpeg or jpeg only depending on your settings. doesnt LR have some setting for importing both the raw and jpeg together?

most every other camera either provides raw + jpeg or jpeg only depending on your settings. doesnt LR have some setting for importing both the raw and jpeg together?

I am shooting raw only so Lightroom can only import the Raw.....

I may have it figured out with hours of frustration.... The BW image is stored as a JPG file as the only way to get BW is by selecting DNG+JPG... I see it when it does the 3 second auto prevue but when I import in to Lightroom only the DNG files are shown even though DNG plus JPG are saved on my SD Card. I have to import BW-JPG files additionally. CONFUSING.... SO BW is not RAW... only JPG.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my reply directly from Leica in Germany:
"You chose to output the images captured on your camera as raw files, and so when you import them into LR it has no idea that you used your camera's own built-in processing to convert them to a particular style/look. For various reasons, LR/ACR won't generally recognise any "custom" in-camera adjustments.

The thumbnails will have initially appeared in the LR catalogue with your in-camera adjustments because it's using the JPEG preview embedded into the raw file: once you get it into develop, the image is processed by LR and this preview is updated, hence the thumbnail changing. (I personally prefer to generate a new thumbnail on import anyway.)

If you want B&W conversions, use LR to do them. You'll have much more control and more than likely end up with much better conversions then you would in-camera. Thank you for your understanding."

I was close...... thanx for all the input everyone

OK I think I have it figured out.... Shoot RAW and dont worry about jpg or color film or BW settings because they are preprocessed by the camera.
Fireplace BW.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In order to get both a color and a B&W image you must select DNG+JPEG and make sure that you also selected B&W for your image. This way you'll get a color DNG file and a B&W JPEG file.
Unfortunately your LCD screen will show your image in B&W (unless you use a EVF2)
To import both files in LR you have to go in Preferences/General and check the box "Process separately combined files RAW+JPEG" (may not be the exact working as my LR is in French). This way both images will be imported in LR and you'll decide if the JPEG B&W suits your needs or if you prefer to convert the RAW in B&W right there in LR or use plugins like Silver Efex Pro 2

Back