Sony Selecting units of measurement on RX100 for manual mode?

john10001

I'm quite impressed with the RX100 on paper, though it is very expensive.

Can anyone tell me if you already own this, is it possible to choose whether you have imperial or metric measurements for UK models? And is the option also available for US/Canadian versions?

When I got my Lumix LX5, Panasonic removed the option over LX3 to select the units so I was stuck with dreadful metric measurements on my model.

I was just wondering if you can select on your RX100?

When I focused manually with my LX3 you would have the units in feet and inches or you could select meters and I believe it was mm.

Unfortunately the LX5 removed the option to select the units of measurement and I was locked in with metric system when I always use imperial based on the UK model I bought or area I selected I was located e.g. UK which still use a mix of both systems so I don't know why they removed the option to select.

Nonetheless I was just wondering on the Sony RX100 can you choose and change your units of measurement between imperial and metric, does it come with fixed units of measurement depending on whether you buy US or UK/European model, or do you get locked in depending on what options you select when you first turn on the camera?

This will probably determine "where" I buy an RX100 from if I do eventually get one which is looking likely as a replacement for my LX5.

Cheers,

John

You're in luck, the Sony doesn't have ANY units of measurement in manual focus mode, so you can buy it ANYwhere! Or not at all. I HATE this feature (or lack thereof) about this camera - if you want to use zone focus, you just have to find something at the right distance to focus on, which is easy enough for shorter zones, but not at all for longer distances, where there's less room for error generally. The RX100 has an amazing sensor (leaves the LX5 in the dust - although I'm still hoping for good enough raw results from the LX7) but leaves a lot to be desired as a camera IMHO.

-Ray

That's a shame. I wonder why they didn't bother with that? Are most people just shooting them in automatic mode and not making use of manual focus?

Well, they do have focus peaking which makes using manual focus better for hitting critical focus, so they certainly haven't ignored manual focus. But they've clearly ignored zone focus which, to me, is what these smaller sensor compacts were put on earth for, so I find it enormously frustrating. Amazing sensor, but plenty of issues with the controls and handling.

-Ray

Back