Selective Color

I really do like your use of the color in this quite a lot - Eric Carle's illustrations call out for color and the juxtaposition with your daughter's love mass of curls and the designs of the things around her work beautifully with this book's cover in blue.

I'm going to make this a sticky thread so that others might add their "selective color" photos here, if they'd like. I look forward to seeing more from you, too, Eric.

Thanks BBW. Its not a look I usually go for, but as you said, the illustration was what make me consider it for this particular shot.

I also like the idea of making themed sticky threads so we're all not posting one-offs for every set of images we shoot. My intent here was for this to be a thread for anyone that wanted to post selective color shots, not just to show mine, so thank you.

I was aiming to highlight my wife's potted plant, but failed to realize how much red is in the bricks on our home and the wood door and framing. I'm not good enough with PP software to use layer masks to select only certain areas for processing.

P1000296.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was aiming to highlight my wife's potted plant, but failed to realize how much red is in the bricks on our home and the wood door and framing. I'm not good enough with PP software to use layer masks to select only certain areas for processing.

View attachment 182931
Works for me, it's a peculiar and strangely attractive combination of fierce reds and a lot of grey tones, including the two grey cats.

View attachment 182931
Actually kind of works. I am normally not a fan of selective color, but the bricks add a nice layer.

My only suggestion would be to fix the doorknob and call it good/

So we already have Selective color thread, but not many pictures, so I will add one as I like selective color.
Used NIK Silver EFEX for the B&W conversion and control points for selective color.
It took a lot of control points and inverted control points to get this. The selective color from control points have a tendency to bleed outside the area of the point so using another control point with selective color at zero mitigates that.
Ooh, and you really have to very careful when placing the control points for selective color, zooming in and working with small movements of the point is necessary to hit just the colors you want to leave.

_3050405_Nik_1_DxO_Web.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back