Self Portraiture

Lili

Hall of Famer
Name
Lili
This is the first shot I did in an on-going Cindy Sherman style self portrait series.
2298724421_becfae9952_b.jpg

S6000fd
I have many more but have never posted any, as they are very personal

Well Lili it was worth the wait, I like the subtle shapes, tones and the crop enhances it - the selected focus works for me as well as does the B&W conversion.

I cannot see anyone being in any way concerned about this image so keep them coming please as they are a very pleasant change from landscape to humanscape and subtle shots of body crops are always thought provoking and often inspiring as in this case.

It makes me think about my next image along this vein.

Thanks for posting,
Ian

Well Lili it was worth the wait, I like the subtle shapes, tones and the crop enhances it - the selected focus works for me as well as does the B&W conversion.

I cannot see anyone being in any way concerned about this image so keep them coming please as they are a very pleasant change from landscape to humanscape and subtle shots of body crops are always thought provoking and often inspiring as in this case.

It makes me think about my next image along this vein.

Thanks for posting,
Ian

Thanks awfully, Ian :)

I think she might mean the others are a bit more revealing. I think your composition is good here, maybe a little more drama to the lighting. Subject matter makes it intimate but a more dramatic lighting/use of shadows would bring out a sensuality too. I am btw not good at self portraiture. Then again my last attempt was just as intimate [ekg leads for a holter monitor on my chest] but somehow those colored leads and patches made it more raw than anything. And I like your pendant, love angel related things.

I think she might mean the others are a bit more revealing. I think your composition is good here, maybe a little more drama to the lighting. Subject matter makes it intimate but a more dramatic lighting/use of shadows would bring out a sensuality too. I am btw not good at self portraiture. Then again my last attempt was just as intimate [ekg leads for a holter monitor on my chest] but somehow those colored leads and patches made it more raw than anything. And I like your pendant, love angel related things.

LOL thanks, that was my first effort been using light and shadow far more in the recent shots. I do love that little pendant!

Looks great Lili! Who's Cindy Sherman? I'll have to google her.

Maybe this can be the beginning of a thread for selfies. Mine wouldn't look anywhere as sexy and pretty though!

Nice work Lili. Ian's right, as long as their tasteful (as yours certainly is (y)), then they will make a great series and change.

I personally like the use of natural lighting and agree that your selective focus is spot on. The textures are absolutely exquisite.

But, meanwhile,

...Maybe this can be the beginning of a thread for selfies. Mine wouldn't look anywhere as sexy and pretty though!
Don't sell yourself short mate. I'm sure the images would, inevitably, satisfy a niche market. ;)

it's probably a very small niche indeed ... if Armando can possibly restrain himself, I'm sure the rest of us will be deeply grateful ...

Worry not ... I'll restrain myself! It's bad enough they are constantly using photos of me on those Abercrombie & Fitch ads.

Oh bite your tongue!

Seriously, I really didn't know Cindy Sherman an hour ago. BUT, I do now thanks to Wikipedia.

Worry not ... I'll restrain myself! It's bad enough they are constantly using photos of me on those Abercrombie & Fitch ads.

I thought there was something familiar about those advertising shots mate, I just didn't click until I realised they're only using you for the torso crops. But now, well, it's unmistakable! Better than Mark Wahlberg (y) Thanks for clarifying. So why did you go with A+F rather than Calvin Klein?

CK is a thing of the past. They haven't been "in" since Brooke Shields' famous words about "nothing comes between me and my Calvins." My goal was to appeal to the younger impressionable crowd! But now, I just want to live incognito. Hence my Muttley avatar!

This is the first shot I did in an on-going Cindy Sherman style self portrait series.
2298724421_becfae9952_b.jpg

S6000fd
I have many more but have never posted any, as they are very personal

Nice shot ;-)

can we expect more soon :D ?

I'll try to post some too when at home

I'm glad you decided to post your image, Lili. It has beauty and impact and is done with taste.
There are things I would like to try, different in theme but similar in approach but, due to work overload, my photography is de facto limited to "seen while strolling" type.
So it is an additional pleasure to discover an on-going project; I believe it is not only a good way go deeper into photography, but also a wonderful way do delve into oneself.
Hopefully you will show us more. And inspire others to follow:)

I agree with everyone, very tastefully done, Lili.

Armando, you were showing how young you really are - not recognizing Cindy Sherman.:tongue:

Mark, I remember that photograph of yours, and I, too, can't help but think of it in re an iconic crucifixion image, though I am guessing that was not your intention.

Back