Sony Sell NEX 7 plus 3 lenses for RX1

rogerc

Regular
Name
The Hexagonal.
Hi everyone.

I have an RX100, a NEX 5n, NEX 7, 24mm Sonnar, 35mm Nokton 1.2 II, 15mm UW Heliar 4.5 and 50mm E 1.8.

I have an opportunity to get a camera brought to me by a friend. I live in the UK and with the prices of stuff around here, if I sell the NEX 7 + 24mm + 35mm + 15mm I get to buy an RX1 + EVF + accessories (like the damned battery charger)

I use the 35mm FOV 90% of the time. The other 10% is split between the 50mm FOV and wide angles.

I want a back up body. If I could afford it, I would be keeping the 24mm Sonnar to match the 5n in case the RX1 gets the flu. I am keeping the 5n because for the resale price, it is far more of bang for the buck than the NEX 7 cash I would need to go towards the RX1. I also got the EVF for the 5n so not missing the EVF action there.

My question is, for some of you that have gone the way I am thinking of going, have you looked back at your NEX + 24mm combo after you went with the RX1? I have a bit of hesitation but seeing the photos it produces and the lens...I am just thinking: "Last month you could have sold your NEX's for a Leica M9, second hand, and you told yourself you could live with that an the Nokton 35mm 1.2. Why not this?" I guess my fear is the fixed lens so, unlike my NEX's, I have a second body to put the 24mm on unless that fails, obviously.

Real main reason for change is, more compact (I carry the RX100 daily) and the cleaner files magazines would like (especially very high ISO)
Any word on reliability after a while for those who own it for a few months?

Cheers,

Welcome to SC. I don't think you would look for 24mm if you get RX1 esp RX1 is smaller package with better dof/high iso. I don't know if the af makes a difference. I would have kept the 15mm & 50mm instead of 24mm, so you have 2 camera set up with coverage for short and long ends. 15mm works better with 5n as a small package. Also RX100 doesn't cover the wide 15mm and it is slow at the tele end where you can use 50mm 1.8 oss for lower light situations. That is me as I wouldn't settle at 35mm with 2 camera set ups.

Hi Serhan,

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the quick reply. I am keeping the 50mm for the portraits (I wanted rather to keep the 35mm with the 5n but I need the cash)

I rarely use the 15mm. Really. I would prefer to have the RX100's 28mm in any case.

What my thoughts are so far is RX1 + 5n w/50mm and RX100. I vouch for the RX100 for wider instead of 5n with 15mm because indoors (where I shoot the most wides), at 4.5 on the 5n I would usually need ISO 1600 where with the RX100 I can have ISO 400 for the same shutter speeds with the faster aperture and keep a similar noise signature than with the 5n and ISO 1600.

I guess the RX100 also works as a back up for the RX1 worst come worst. Again, thinking of the same amount of cash I would need to throw to own a Leica M9 with it's worse IQ performance overall compared to the RX1.

Cheers,

If 28mm is wide enough, then RX100 should be good. I used RX100 last summer for low light shooting around 28-35mm and it worked great as long as I watched shutter speeds. So it should work as a back up camera esp it is so small and shares the batteries with RX1 as far as I know. The only negative I have is the over 9% distortion correction on RX100 makes the edges more distorted/stretched esp when you have group of people on the edges. Then you can use the RX1 also. I don't have CV15mm but I have CV 12mm and the distortion is very minimal for such a wide and small lens.

Hi Serhan, Armanius.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I love the 15mm lens, really, but I have not found much use for it. A more or less similar situation I faced with the 35mm Nokton.

Serhan, have you tried DxO optics pro with the RX100? The edge smudging is not because of the camera or lens, it is because of Adobe's/Lightroom's way of interpreting the files with an unchangeable distortion correction. If you use DxO optics, you can see that the edges are pretty sharp. I believe there are a few reviews out there that show this differing behavior on software and RX100 files.

So, yes, I got all my stuff on the bay now. Hopefully it will sell on time so I can purchase the RX1 and have my friend bring it.

I am getting a UN-Ltd UNX 9122 grip for the RX1:

http://f.hatena.ne.jp/images/fotolife/g/gyaos55/20130425/20130425233339.jpg
http://memoryphotography.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_0302-1024x682.jpg
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/yuhazu_mg/imgs/3/8/388393a7.jpg

I am unsure about getting the RRS one because of it's price as well as the fact that they specifically say I will get charged an extra %3 for duty and 20% VAT on top of the purchase price to request it to be sent to the UK.

I had the Gariz half case for the NEX 7 and I loved it but I don't know if I should go for that again because the shape of the RX1 is a bit different and not sure if it really helps with griping (thats the main objective of the UNX 9122, to have a better grip)

Getting also a rectangular hood for it from the same company, the UNX 8118.

Getting batteries here only, they are not too expensive and I already have 2 extra batteries for the RX100.

I understand the focusing challenges the RX1 may have in dim light. Any particular advise when this happens? what do you all do when this happens? MF with focus peaking? Zone focusing? turn the AF light on?

Thanks again for all our advise.

I sold my Nex-7 , CV 35 F1.2 II, CZ24, SEL35 & Contax G45 for RX1. No regret after using the RX1. absolutely love the imagine quality from it

I still have the SEL1018. not sure if i will get another NEX for it just for landscape. :D

Hi everyone.

I have an RX100, a NEX 5n, NEX 7, 24mm Sonnar, 35mm Nokton 1.2 II, 15mm UW Heliar 4.5 and 50mm E 1.8.

I have an opportunity to get a camera brought to me by a friend. I live in the UK and with the prices of stuff around here, if I sell the NEX 7 + 24mm + 35mm + 15mm I get to buy an RX1 + EVF + accessories (like the damned battery charger)

I use the 35mm FOV 90% of the time. The other 10% is split between the 50mm FOV and wide angles.

I want a back up body. If I could afford it, I would be keeping the 24mm Sonnar to match the 5n in case the RX1 gets the flu. I am keeping the 5n because for the resale price, it is far more of bang for the buck than the NEX 7 cash I would need to go towards the RX1. I also got the EVF for the 5n so not missing the EVF action there.

My question is, for some of you that have gone the way I am thinking of going, have you looked back at your NEX + 24mm combo after you went with the RX1? I have a bit of hesitation but seeing the photos it produces and the lens...I am just thinking: "Last month you could have sold your NEX's for a Leica M9, second hand, and you told yourself you could live with that an the Nokton 35mm 1.2. Why not this?" I guess my fear is the fixed lens so, unlike my NEX's, I have a second body to put the 24mm on unless that fails, obviously.

Real main reason for change is, more compact (I carry the RX100 daily) and the cleaner files magazines would like (especially very high ISO)
Any word on reliability after a while for those who own it for a few months?

Cheers,

I've been shooting my RX1 next to my M9/35cron, RAW, identical shots and setups. It's really difficult to see much of a difference, the RX1 has smoother bokeh, than the Leica glass. I would say that the Sony just makes it all just a bit easier to accomplish. There's still something the Leica is doing (or not doing) that gives better depth and pop to the pictures. The RX1 images seem to have everything within the frame competing for attention in a way, resulting in a comparatively flat, less engaging image. This can be fixed in Lightroom so not a big deal.

I sold my Nex-7 , CV 35 F1.2 II, CZ24, SEL35 & Contax G45 for RX1. No regret after using the RX1. absolutely love the imagine quality from it

I still have the SEL1018. not sure if i will get another NEX for it just for landscape. :D

Errz, I am quite happy I am not the only one getting rid of the same lenses and body! I feel like I will miss the Nokton, though, because I would have loved to keep it with the NEX 7 for the 53mm FOV.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have all of the above on ebay now. Crossing fingers and praying for all them to sell at the same time so I can get the full RX1 kit.

Will post my impressions here when I get it (If all goes well, it should be with me in a few weeks)

Cheers.

I've been shooting my RX1 next to my M9/35cron, RAW, identical shots and setups. It's really difficult to see much of a difference, the RX1 has smoother bokeh, than the Leica glass. I would say that the Sony just makes it all just a bit easier to accomplish. There's still something the Leica is doing (or not doing) that gives better depth and pop to the pictures. The RX1 images seem to have everything within the frame competing for attention in a way, resulting in a comparatively flat, less engaging image. This can be fixed in Lightroom so not a big deal.

Hi BruPri,

Thanks for contributing. Like I mentioned in the OP, I had a chance of getting the M9 and I would have paired it with the 35mm nokton. Vs the RX1, I could have lived with the limitation of ISO 2500 on the M9 thanks to the Nokton's stop and a half advantage over the Sonnar. That being said, my main issue with the M9 was not so much lack of a good screen (I found it amazing that Leica found it acceptable to offer the M9 with that screen) but the quick loss of dynamic range at higher ISOs. The M9's contrast is already higher than the Sony (or Canon, Nikon for that matter) because there is not much information left in the shadows and the highlights clip really fast. I reckon that pushing the contrast slider in lightroom/camera raw/ and bringing the saturation a bit down would give you a similar look to an standard file from the M9 (white balance and colour response aside)

Cheers.

Back