Ricoh Sell X100 and buy Ricoh GRD IV? Your Take?

This is the sad, ironic part. Much like "youth is wasted on the young" perhaps there's a related thought, something like "extra earnings is wasted on those who have it"

I'm quite a few years off from retirement, and at likely what's the peak of my earning power (being middle-aged, it's probably downhill from here), but between kids and work, there is not enough time to use the marvelous equipment I can afford!

I solved my excess camera equipment issues by giving away the stuff I am not using to my two daughters, just yesterday I gave one my GF-i with zoom to one and my E-P1with zoom to the other, will probably give them both some more lenses as I shrink my M4/3 set up down. If you can afford it there is nothing wrong with a collection of occasionally used photo toys. Sometimes using that camera you have not used for awhile sparks a feeling and need to shoot then other times all one wants to use is one camera one lens.
Video stuff was the camera equipment I always thought I needed but never used except when the girls were growing up.

Just to throw another spanner in the works, I have been doing all my street work to date using the Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm f1.7 lens and it is a superb combination as well as being smaller than the X100 (not as small as GRD4 though).

If you are interested in seeing how it can perform at "Street", please look at my blog - Iansky Photosite

Good luck

I'm quite a few years off from retirement, and at likely what's the peak of my earning power (being middle-aged, it's probably downhill from here)...

I hear that too. I came to the realization the other day that in my field, though I am middle aged and deeply experienced and very good at what I do, I'll be put out to pasture soon enough. It's a career for the young, those with fresh creative energy and new ideas. That was me 20 years ago, but now I'll soon be old guard. My best chance is to become entrepreneurial or, egad, go into management.

But it could be worse. I read earlier this year that most writers best works are completed long before they are 40. Back in the day when most people did not live much past 40 things were fine. But today, with an average life expectancy approaching 80, we've got to make those best years pay off for a long, long time.

I solved my excess camera equipment issues by giving away the stuff I am not using to my two daughters, just yesterday I gave one my GF-i with zoom to one and my E-P1with zoom to the other, will probably give them both some more lenses as I shrink my M4/3 set up down. If you can afford it there is nothing wrong with a collection of occasionally used photo toys. Sometimes using that camera you have not used for awhile sparks a feeling and need to shoot then other times all one wants to use is one camera one lens.
Video stuff was the camera equipment I always thought I needed but never used except when the girls were growing up.

Yes, I've already given a number of point-and-shoot cameras to my daughter and two grandkids... and some decent micro four-thirds equipment (G1 and lenses) to my niece, who has more interest in photography. I supect more great stuff will be going her way in the future.

I hear that too. I came to the realization the other day that in my field, though I am middle aged and deeply experienced and very good at what I do, I'll be put out to pasture soon enough. It's a career for the young, those with fresh creative energy and new ideas. That was me 20 years ago, but now I'll soon be old guard. My best chance is to become entrepreneurial or, egad, go into management.

But it could be worse. I read earlier this year that most writers best works are completed long before they are 40. Back in the day when most people did not live much past 40 things were fine. But today, with an average life expectancy approaching 80, we've got to make those best years pay off for a long, long time.

I hear that. I'm only 54 now but my wife will be retiring within a couple of years and it'll be up to me to carry the load for a few years. But I don't see myself lasting in the news business all the way until I'm 66-1/2. So I'm thinking about ways to pare down my toys to the essentials at a point not that far down the road. Still, I'm pretty sure I won't just stop working entirely. I may do something that I enjoy a lot more at this point in my life... but I'm sure it'll be for quite a bit less money. Anything but a Wal-Mart greeter!

Man, we really got off topic, no? :)

Funny the idea of retiring seems so far away, but I know it is coming closer with every year. I am also in a young persons business, so there will come a time when I will need to pursue photography more for myself and less for others needs. If and when I do retire I will have to work, maybe not so much for financial reasons but more for emotional, intellectual ones.

Yes way off topic

If you can afford it there is nothing wrong with a collection of occasionally used photo toys. Sometimes using that camera you have not used for awhile sparks a feeling and need to shoot then other times all one wants to use is one camera one lens.

Agreed, each camera has a certain aura to it, variety keeps back stagnation.

Well I like street shooting and I'm kinda curious about the Quick Snap Focus mode feature I have been hearing about and the images I have seen with B & W and Color with the Ricoh.. I have X1O and that kinda fills the void for the absence of the X100... just fishing around.. shessh.. :)

Hi Doug, I'm curious to know why you would consider selling the x100 instead of the X10, and buy the GRD IV. You would still retain a nice APSC camera AND get a small sensor street camera. What about the X10 gives it preference over the X100? I'm curious since I'm torn between buying either the X100 or the X10 and would love to hear your opinion on both.

Buy the GRD IV there is no comparison for street shooting!

The fujifilm x100 is a piece of art. It looks nice and trendy. The GRD IV is a serious tool for street shooters and has been throughout the GRD history. People who argue for the x100, in my opinion, are just trying to justify their $1200. It attracts too much attention, has a 'digital' IQ and is often slower. The GRD is lightening fast, (and had snap focus) and also has a signature IQ that you cannot find elsewhere.

I would never part with the GRD IV or street shooting unless I somehow could afford an M9 all of a sudden.

I have been thinking about selling my Fuji X100 and buying Ricoh GRD IV.. whats your take? I would probably even pick up maybe a couple hundred bucks + in exchange.. your advice please..:)

Welcome to the forum Sweet717. Looking forward to your contributions to the forum!

Over-generalized statements like "just trying to justify their $1200" are uncalled for though. I have seen wonderful street photography from X100 users. Each photographer has his/her distinctive style and approach to using whatever camera they choose to use.

I find it interesting that you have placed the M9 as a superior street photography tool over the X100 and even the GRDIV. At least in terms of "attracting too much attention," the M9 and the X100 don't differ much at all. I'd argue that the X100 is actually stealthier than a M9 given that it's smaller, and I can shoot my X100 using the LCD, while I have to bring my M9 to eye level. Moreover, in terms of approach to street photography, both the X100 and M9 call for a similar more meticulous approach, even though one is an AF camera while the other is a MF camera. In short, in my opinion, if one values the M9's qualities as a street photography tool, those same values are fairly applicable to the X100.

Haha. It's not me! I already have a X10! I'd certainly love the X10 even more if I'd paid Doug's price instead of full retail!

But glad that a fellow Texan got it!

Back