Selling your gear and how does it work for you?

I have over 1300 feedbacks on ebay, with 1 negative from a buyer who refused to pay, that really annoyed me but 1 isn't the be all and end all I suppose.

Everything I sell is registered and insured.

I would sell on Amazon but we can't here in Aust, nor do we have cragslist.

So it's forums and ebay for me,

Am hunting on there for some studio equipment at the moment, want to start a home studio up on a small budget :)

nor do we have cragslist.

We do have a craigslist but its so underused as to be nearly useless. There are many people like yourself who don't know it exists for Australia so nobody looks there to buy. I listed once, and got no response.

Craigslist > Cities
Just choose the site closest to you.

[edit] and having said that I have just realised I cant remember my login so have had to make another... why? Giving it another go.
[edit #2] Dpont know why I bothered. nothing shows up in a search... not even when I search for my own ad which I know is there, by its exact title. no go, forget it. useless.

For those who have sold their camera gear on Amazon's marketplace, what, if any, returns policy did you offer? I've just had an enquiry as to what to my returns policy is and, to be honest, I hadn't thought about it. Any advice would be appreciated.

For those who have sold their camera gear on Amazon's marketplace, what, if any, returns policy did you offer? I've just had an enquiry as to what to my returns policy is and, to be honest, I hadn't thought about it. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have sold through the marketplace and never listed a refund policy. I would do whatever is possible to insulate yourself from fraud. I would suggest giving them some sort of answer otherwise they can just likely go through their credit card company (or Amazon) and get the money back from you without your approval. I would suggest something to the effect of you offering a "no D.O.A (dead on arrival)" guarantee. I;m not sure what you sold, but assume it is photo gear. As long as it was accurately described, I think all you need to do is make sure they get what was advertised and then it was in working order.

Sometimes people want to "audition" an item and get buyer's remorse. You should not be held accountable for that. Also, dishonest people can have the same item (broken) and order one to do a switcheroo (would you be able to recognize the exact one you sold?).

Good luck.

Hi Luke,

I've not sold anything yet, it was just an enquiry via Amazon about my returns policy from a prospective buyer. Looking at Amazon's return policy imposed on it's marketplace sellers, it looks like I have to offer the same returns policy as Amazon, such as 7 days to change mind, etc, and responsible for return delivery costs of unwanted items. Seems a bit harsh for the sale of second hand goods. I'd understand if it was a faulty item, but not just because the buyer wants to try before he/she buys. It has me spooked a little bit. I just wanted to hear about other's experience with Amazon.

Well, I guess you need to play by their rules then. I didn't realize that you would need to be bound by their generous return policy for used goods. I guess you need to trust in human nature (worrisome, I suppose) and honest people. My guess is that fraudsters probably are more likely not checking the used market, but chalk up another mark for using the forum marketplace.

Amazon treats large volume sellers and individuals the same way. Therefore buyers expect full service. It's kind of weird as an individual seller. I once sold a Ricoh GX100 on Amazon, and the woman, who seemed perfectly reasonable, claimed it periodically went dead. The camera had worked fine for me, though I did not use that much, but who knows. So I asked her to return it and as soon as it arrived I refunded her money.

I'd rather be fair and give the benefit of the doubt, and protect my ratings, than haggle. Most sales have been perfect.

I would be clear about your timeframe for returns (like 30 days). And explain that you first must receive the item back before you will offer a refund. Both are typical among any volume seller. You can also state that returns are allowable only if the item is defective, meaning it is an as-is sale and they cannot return it simply because they don't like it.

Amazon is a better than Ebay, but not by a whole lot, since you are still dealing with a large and unknown set of buyers. I prefer to use forums for selling camera gear now.

I also recently sold a Zeiss Ikon to a nice chap who after using it, identifying a possible issue, extensively testing it, claimed the rangefinder was out of alignment. He sent a number of pictures of the OVF and it was clear that the rangefinder patch was indeed our of alignment. He sent it back, I refunded hime, and I'll have it fixed under warranty.

I've pulled my listings from Amazon and sent an email to Amazon requesting clarification. Looking at other sellers returns policies, they appear to differ from the one that Amazon advocates on their site. My concern is that, if a dispute arose, by agreeing to list my items on Amazon's marketplace that Amazon's policy would automatically trump mine and I could lose a lot of money just in postage and insurance costs. There seems to be little protection for the seller. Maybe a car boot sale is the way to go ... or better still, stop buying new cameras that I don't need! :rolleyes:

..or better still, stop buying new cameras that I don't need! :rolleyes:

I'm right there with you, Karen. I have a bunch of cameras I can't move because either nobody wants them, nobody wants to pay the price I want, or I'm too nervy about using particular sites to shift them. I'm talking about the less expensive ones in my stable, cameras which nobody in this forum would be interested in... thats why I haven't posted here. If ever I decide to divest myself of the x100 or K-5 and lenses, I'll be posting here first.

I have sold three cameras through Amazon M/Place the first was the X1 which was a fair amount of money, the person who bought it lived in Northern Ireland and we have quite a conversation about the camera as you can imagine which included 'returns' I stated I was a private seller and there would be no returns.
The sale went ahead.
Now my understanding is that a buyer must contact the seller as to what the returns policy is before buying..in my case there is no returns.
I have built up a full star rating (for two cameras I have sold) I always send by Special delivery with the article insured and the buyer is notified by me that it must be-signed for.
My payments from Amazon are now paid after two weeks to my bank account.
I sent amy NEX5 off to a buyer about 7days ago after contacting him directly, strangley he didn't ask about the camera before buying as to seeing any pics of either the camera or what I had taken. I await my money hoping the buyer is satisfied.

Back