Leica Sensor Cleaning?

carlb

All-Pro
The M9 I recently purchased needs sensor cleaning. Many little occlusions, which sure looked like dried moisture spots on the sensor.

I've tried the blower-brush, and tried lens cleaning solution on the single-use lens cleaning wipes. Hope that's safe, so far no scratching from my efforts that I can tell.

The problem is getting the moisture residue off. It's just tough to get the entire sensor free of that. I've tried the lens cleaning cloth that came with a kit to try gently rubbing those out with little circular motions. Breath on the cloth a bit for a small amount of moisture or try the lens cleaning solution on the cloth, or just dry.

Any tips or suggestions toward a thorough cleaning? Perhaps use a Q-tip behind the cleaning cloth to get a small, controlled rubbing surface?

You have done everything that works for me. I think you should post a picture taken at full aperture- this could be corrosion of the sensor, which means Leica should inspect it- and get the sensor replaced. I would wait a few months for the sensors with new cover glass unless the image is very bad.

There are a number of videos on youtube on sensor cleaning, and some are quite good. I watch them first to get me "ready". Even so I had some specs which defied some pretty determined rubbing with a wet swab. When my camera came back from NJ from getting a new shutter, they had got them all, though. So just because it won't come off easy, does not mean it's corrosion, necessarily.

Thanks guys. Mostly I wanted to confirm that I hadn't or was about ready to do something stupid. Based upon your responses, I don't think I've exhausted my cleaning attempts just yet. I'll purchase a sensor cleaning kit with one of the lit magnifiers and watch a few more videos.

Are there given climates where the M9 is more susceptible to sensor corrosion? This one came from California, which I'd think wold be relatively benign for that. Of course it may have had a less sensor-friendly history before that.

If your close to one of the Leica Stores, see if they offer sensor cleaning. The SF store charges $50, but they did a better job dry cleaning my sensor than I did trying to wet clean it (with one time use pre moisten swabs).

For sure a real humid climate will speed up the problem. So a seaside M9 in Cali will be at more risk than one from inland. You don't want to jump the gun, since the new sensor is in testing right now and should be available in a few months. Watch those wet cleaning vids and have multiple swabs ready. Took me quite a few swipes to get it right with 99% isopropyl. I now keep the wide and tiny corner swabs on hand. Amazon has them.

Just received the full-frame sensor cleaning "squeegies" and a lit loupe. Made another pass with these. Finger's crossed, I'll shooting with it this evening.

I ended up with a lot of dirt stuck on the sensor of my M240 due to the pollen problems in the spring. I worried about and try blowing it off, etc., without success. I finally ordered some of those cleaning wipes with the little bottle of cleaning solution and used that as well. Still the stubborn spots remained stuck. Finally I read in some forum threads that some people suggested using denatured 90% alcohol to clean the stuff. I used more of the expensive cleaning sticks but used alcohol instead of the cleaning solution and managed to clean the sensor quite well!
The alcohol works great as a solvent and cleaner to remove stubborn dirt and smudges. And the best thing is that it dries fairly quickly and leaves no discernible residue :) The only thing that I would counsel is to not use too much alcohol (or any other liquid) or you risk soaking the sensor and possibly getting stuff in there wet which should stay dry.
BTW, I also purchased one of those inspection loupes with the light and all, but found them hard to used with the cleaning sticks and frankly, I could not see the spots even with the loupe and the light. Still, I find the best way to inspect the sensor is to take the right shot and examine the digital image.

Back