Canon Sensor Improvement from G10 to G15

wolfie

Veteran
I was just twiddling around on the comparison widgit at dpreview and tried out how my G10 compared to the latest and greatest small sensor fixed lens offerings. It was a surprise to me the amount of improvement - about 2 stops I'd estimate. I compared four cameras at 1600 ISO and the G10 was lost in a blizzard of chroma noise - I had to dial it back to 400 ISO to get it into the same ball park as the G15, Nikon P7700 and the Fuji X20 at 1600!

Sensor-improvements.jpg

If you factor in the faster lenses that add at least one more f-stop, which really shows how good we have it with these "all in one" serious compacts for available light shooting. Let the good times roll!

Yup. If one doesn't need to shoot above ISO 1600, about the only thing one loses when using one of the better, modern, small-sensored, enthusiast compacts is ease of control over depth of field. But with really fast lenses (at least at the wide end) in the f/1.4-1.8 range, it's not impossible to get some of the effect one wants. We are truly in a golden age of photography.

Didn't the G10 have a higher res sensor, which contributed to the poor high ISO performance? I really like the old ISO dials on the older G's.

Yup - it has the wedding cake stacked mode and ISO dials - nice heavy click stops.
Modedial-001.jpg

Very good at base ISO -which is where I try to use it 99% of the time, but OK up to 400 in good light.

I always find it mind boggling when camera makers take away features that everyone agrees was a good one to begin with.

The only thing I can think of is that they do that so that they can bring back those features to encourage us to buy the newer models.

I get the feeling the next G will have a swivel LCD again. But they will remove the OVF. Then the next one will bring back the OVF with an overlay like the X20. Maybe the ISO dial will come back in three generations.

OVF to EVF?

I always find it mind boggling when camera makers take away features that everyone agrees was a good one to begin with.

The only thing I can think of is that they do that so that they can bring back those features to encourage us to buy the newer models.

I get the feeling the next G will have a swivel LCD again. But they will remove the OVF. Then the next one will bring back the OVF with an overlay like the X20. Maybe the ISO dial will come back in three generations.

Hmm - reckon the OVF is the main constant that defines the G-series, but I reckon it may evolve to an EVF soon- hopefully with decent resolution and refresh speed as befits a flagship product.

Both cameras are great and I am sure, that, if you aren't able to shoot good pictures in good light with one of these cameras, you won't be able to do that with the other one.

Back