Sensor vs. Body

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
A post on Fuji Rumors:
The idea is simple. Is it better to have a product line with different bodies styles and the same sensor (Fuji) or different sensors in the same body style? I use Fuji and Sony so what do I know.

Ritchie Roesch, on his (always excellent, in my opinion) Fuji X Weekly website, wrote a blog essay as a response to the FujiRumors post, and as always, his perspective is interesting.

Fuji experiments more with body styles. It's easy to say stick with a body, but which one? The XE, XPro, XTx, XTxx, and XS body types appeal to different folks. APS-C froze for quite a while on the 24 MP sensor, unlike FF which has seen more changes in tech and in MP. Maybe not APS-C will started to grab this tech and we'll see changes in the smaller format. The major change I want from Fuji is better C-AF, especially with tracking for kids and kids-level sports.

Fuji has branched out from the Xtrans sensor just a bit, though they are (all? Nearly all?) in the entry-level end of their line. I think it would be smart for them to offer both, because there are certainly some who don't care for their proprietary sensors and the way they sometimes aren't supported by post-processing software.

Fuji’s approach seems to be more usability focussed (“no matter which camera body type you prefer to use, we have it!”).

Sony’s seem to be more technology focussed (“no matter which sensor technology you need/want, we have it”)

Since for me it’s more about finding a camera that I enjoy to use - Fuji’s approach has its clear merits there.
But Sony’s approach is clearly very successful too :)

It’s worth pointing out that the article, and this conversation on it. Is completely ignoring Fuji’s GS line. Fuji does have different sensors available in current bodies. With the latest model dipping down into the price realm of Sony.

Back