Serious (But Smaller) Medium Format

deirdre

Top Veteran
I've got a little present on the way to me: a 6x6 Zeiss Super Ikonta III folder with a sweet little Tessar lens.

Normally, I'd say medium format is opposite of compact, but the folders (and, arguably, the Mamiya 6 and 7 and perhaps some other smaller bodies) are pretty darn small and light for their image size.

Anyone else have compact medium format cameras they're still using?

I've got a little present on the way to me: a 6x6 Zeiss Super Ikonta III folder with a sweet little Tessar lens.

Normally, I'd say medium format is opposite of compact, but the folders (and, arguably, the Mamiya 6 and 7 and perhaps some other smaller bodies) are pretty darn small and light for their image size.

I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on with it - I'm being tempted to start shooting MF again.
Anyone else have compact medium format cameras they're still using?

I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on with it - I'm being tempted to start shooting MF again.

True, but how many people can afford one? A rangefinder excels at the typical distances people shoot at, but are people really going to spend 20 grand on a medium format camera that can't do macro or really long shots?

I wouldn't mind seeing a rangefinder format 645 style camera. Same sensor as the Pentax 645D with either a folding fixed lens or intercangeable primes (the latter would be best).

I was thinking just this the other day - who likes the idea of a medium format (645) rangefinder with interchangable lenses and even an interchangable digital back? (so your lens investment can stay, and as tech progesses, youi can swap out the hot bits and keep the body you like)

Well now I know, Me and Peter. That's who. :)

Back