Serious Compacts Podcast 1: Arrival of the 'X' Cameras

Amin

Hall of Famer
For a while now, I've been thinking about putting together a SeriousCompacts podcast and with all the exciting developments in the world of serious compact cameras, it seemed like a good time to get things rolling.

In Episode 1, Armando Chiu (known around these parts as Armanius) and Terry Banet (aka TEBnewyork) join me to discuss the news from CES in the context of all the latest gear. We share some of our thoughts on the Fuji X-Pro1, Canon G1 X, Sony NEX-7, Nikon 1 System, and much more.

As has always been the case with SeriousCompacts, there are times when the focus is more on the gear and other times when the focus is more on the photography. This podcast episode is all about the gear, but we absolutely plan to offer a mix of content in upcoming episodes.

You can listen to the 82-minute (!) episode here (75MB): http://media.seriouscompacts.com.s3.amazonaws.com/SCP-0001.mp3

More from my co-hosts:
  • Terry's photography and also her writings about gear can be found at her website www.terrybanet.com. Terry also spends a good amount of time over at the excellent GetDPI forums. The very cool photo wall we talked about in the podcast is discussed here.
  • Armando's work can be found on his Flickr page, www.flickr.com/photos/Armanius. He is also a regular here at SeriousCompacts.

None of us three have recorded a podcast before and there are some definite audio/production issues. Your suggestions for improvement and input about what you'd like to hear in future podcasts will be greatly appreciated!

Subscribe in iTunes
Subscribe in another podcast client

Don't know that I'm able to listen to the whole thing (or at least not with one sitting), but it's nice to hear people actually have a conversation around this stuff, rather than hard-to-put-two-thoughts-together, disjointed posting in chat forums.

Also, it's nice to hear one of these from folks whose website is NOT dependent on the camera makers giving them gear, etc. No economic bias here.

Nice to hear some voices, too, from folks we know.

Thanks!

[edit -- listening to the podcast, Amin, you sound like you need to get an EPM1, lol!]

That was really cool. I had it playing in the background while I was flitting around the web. Very interesting discussion since even though I'm not so much obsessed with everything that's new, it's all information catalogued for use in a year or two when I might eventually buy.

I just finished listening to it (over a few different short sessions), sort of in the background while I got stuff done, but occasionally I'd get pulled in and really focus on it. Great discussion, but the best part was feeling like I got a better feel for who you three PEOPLE are, cameras aside. I enjoyed that immensely. I look forward to more and it would be great to mix up the participants - there are any number of other forum participants who I'd like to hear from as well... Great idea, regardless...

-Ray

We definitely plan to do that. I hope I can count you in, Ray :).

I may be too busy trying to create my own version of Terry's amazing photo-wall (which I saw a few weeks ago and have been mildly obsessed with ever since). But, sure, I'd try to be as polite and restrained as the three of you. Although I think you three just covered about everything out there for a while... :cool:

-Ray

This is fantastic! It's great to hear thoughtful conversations by people here about the gear we read about daily. There are other topics at SC that could be very interesting as well, about photography and how we work. Thank you Amin, Terry and Armando!

Brooks Jensen at Lenswork has had a few blog posts about creating podcasts.

As a fellow gear-head, just look at my signature list which does not include my Nikon DSLRs, I much appreciated the podcast. Keep it up. I hope to hear discussion of the new Panasonic GX1, for example.

Thanks Dan. I got my hands on a GX1 the other day, but it was body only. I wanted to try it out with that power 14-42 zoom lens though. If and when I get a hold of one, I'll do a write up on that, and/or discuss on the next podcast. I believe a few folks over at MU-43.com have already been sharing their experiences about the GX1.

I may be too busy trying to create my own version of Terry's amazing photo-wall (which I saw a few weeks ago and have been mildly obsessed with ever since). But, sure, I'd try to be as polite and restrained as the three of you. Although I think you three just covered about everything out there for a while... :cool:

-Ray

That photo wall is awesome. I definitely want to do something like that.

For those curious or interested, you've got to check this out in Terry's blog: My New Print Wall | Terry Banet

As far as print walls, I do something similar. I have large pieces of thick black foam board and I pin pictures to them. This allows me to have multiple boards and move them around, and each one is a particular set.

But I like Terry's idea a lot too. Might have to look into that.

Also, for our kids artwork, we bought an Ikea kit with ends and wire between and put two rows on a wall in the living room. We have a rotating exhibit of preschool and kindergarten artwork!

What a great idea Amin.

To be honest I had to shut this one down halfway as it was inspiring too much GAS :blush:

None of us three have recorded a podcast before and there are some definite audio/production issues. Your suggestions for improvement and input about what you'd like to hear in future podcasts will be greatly appreciated!
*Technically this is not yet a podcast since the episodes are not subscribed to and downloaded by web syndication, but that is coming!
Thought the sound quality was good enough, and love this concept!! I for one want to hear more, so please [Luddite alert] let me know how to do this podcast subscription business so I'm sure not to miss the next.

I'd love to hear more podcasts which provide insight into the minds of the photographers behind the entertaining posts and intriguing images here on our humble forum. So maybe some short 10 minute interviews/profiles with SC members? Be happy to help where I can - more as the questioner than the questioned I think :blush:....though then you'd have to hear the ungainly mixture of my dulcet tones and backward Aussie twang...

Downloading the podcast as I type, I'll listen offline rather than stream, due to limited bandwidth. Love Terry's print wall, what a fantastic idea. I have one wall on which I could do something like this and intend to look into it, or something like Andrew's idea for his kiddies preschool and kindy stuff :)

*Technically this is not yet a podcast since the episodes are not subscribed to and downloaded by web syndication, but that is coming!

I'm hoping to see it in iTunes soonish :) I don't subscribe to podcasts, usually, but this one would be very worth it to me. and I havent even listened yet!

Back