Serious Monogamy :)

summerkl

Veteran
Name
Kevin
I have come upon a minor revelation that serious camera love is akin to spousal love.

There is the dating scene, the early exploration (or what other euphemism you prefer), the committed relationship, the breakup, the multiple partners, etc. Thankfully, cameras don't get viruses like computers or this analogy could get nasty.

I find myself in a committed relationship with my Sony A55. I tried to cheat on her with a re-purchase of a NEX (lasted 2 months) and then an e-pl2 (lasted a month). I keep coming back to the A55 because she is a lovely and reliable (sometimes amazing) partner.

Long story short, despite all those young and sexy cameras, I have found my true love and look forward to growing old with her :)

What do you think? Am I losing my mind?

I don't find them at all similar. With my actual spouse, I've been completely and totally faithful from day one - actually well before day 1. Never even tried to push another's shutter button. Although I have had to adjust focus a couple of times - I'll admit to that!

But with cameras, I'm a polygamist. They don't mind, I don't HAVE to pay all of them equal attention, although I start to feel guilty if I neglect one totally. But if one is too neglected for too long, I sell it! That would be problematic with actual polygamy, or so I've been led to believe! And I'm not even sure it I'm married or merely dating these cameras. Regardless, its a fully open relationship, there are no secrets. There may even be some same-sex relationships involved - I'm not absolutely sure of the gender of my cameras, but I can't imagine they're all female? What would the odds of that be??? And its not easy to test them for it - you just have to intuit these things.

Nope, no relation to the actual spousal situation. At all. Even a little bit! And really, when it comes down to it, as intimate as I can be with my cameras, its platonic. We're just friends!

-Ray

Kevin, thanks for the laughs!

To act as translator- from the Urban Dictionary, their first definition
1. skeevy
Shifty, sleazy, creepy, dirty, dodgy, nasty.
1)"Have you seen Britney Spears' latest husband? Ugh, he's so skeevy. How could she BREED with someone like that?"

2)"Eeeew, look at that skeevy guy over there with the white plastic shoes. Oh my God, is his hair slicked back with VASELINE? I can almost smell the Brut from here."

3)"Of course there's no guarantee. He bought the thing from some skeevy dude in an alley."

For more variety: Urban Dictionary: skeevy

Bottom line, Kevin, I'm happy that you are happy, however I may use this as blackmail material one day.:D

P.S. I should add that I have gone through a great many relationships, um I mean cameras, in the short period of time that I turned to digital. I believe I am fully committed now.:love: As for cameras being male or female, I've always thought of them as "she"...the same as I would if I owned a sailboat.;)

P.S.S. I must admit to being polygamous as I now have two cameras that I'm involved with.

I think it must be partly regional. As far as I know, I am older than both you two Kevins. Not sure about you, Chuck. "Skeevy" has been around the New Yawk metro area for a long time, by cracky! :tongue:

First off Ray, I applaud your faithfulness to your lovely wife. However, in the spirit of my thread, I couldn't help but smile that your descriptions sounds like the "free love" movement of the 60s/70s.

I don't find them at all similar. With my actual spouse, I've been completely and totally faithful from day one - actually well before day 1. Never even tried to push another's shutter button. Although I have had to adjust focus a couple of times - I'll admit to that!

But with cameras, I'm a polygamist. They don't mind, I don't HAVE to pay all of them equal attention, although I start to feel guilty if I neglect one totally. But if one is too neglected for too long, I sell it! That would be problematic with actual polygamy, or so I've been led to believe! And I'm not even sure it I'm married or merely dating these cameras. Regardless, its a fully open relationship, there are no secrets. There may even be some same-sex relationships involved - I'm not absolutely sure of the gender of my cameras, but I can't imagine they're all female? What would the odds of that be??? And its not easy to test them for it - you just have to intuit these things.

Nope, no relation to the actual spousal situation. At all. Even a little bit! And really, when it comes down to it, as intimate as I can be with my cameras, its platonic. We're just friends!

-Ray

Back