Sony Serious? Yes - Compact? No

Nice video. I noticed you hold your NEX exactly like I hold my GH2 - supporting it with your left hand and pressing the shutter button with your thumb. I think it gives me best results in terms of camera shake (or lack thereof).

Nice video. I noticed you hold your NEX exactly like I hold my GH2 - supporting it with your left hand and pressing the shutter button with your thumb. I think it gives me best results in terms of camera shake (or lack thereof).

Yes, it just seems to give more stability, with both hands supporting the camera in a "cradle". I started doing it years ago with medium-format twin-lens reflex cameras with the viewfinders on the top.

And I thought that I maybe just a bit weird. Using my thumb on the shutter and my forefinger on the control wheel (see below) solved a few of the ergonomic issues that I was having with my GH1.

6305650663_0e64117d94_z.jpg

Cool video and nice guitar work too. Very nice leads, although a real backup band would have been even better!

I hold my EPL3 (and held my since departed Nex) the same way when its down low, although I still shoot with my forefinger when I'm shooting at eye-level. I used to use two hands, the left to support the camera and work the zoom, on the rare occasion I use one. But with the aftermarket grip and with the wrist strap I have on my EPL3 at the moment, I can actually shoot one handed just about as steadily. Which has come in very handy for street shooting. For anything else, I'm pretty sure I still use two hands. Here are two quick snaps of my right hand only grip for street shooting - the strap runs between my forefinger and middle finger to my wrist and the stress on the strap and the shape of the grip wedges the camera into my hand very securely.

View attachment 45056

View attachment 45057

-Ray

Back