Fuji Seriously wondering about X-S1 instead of buying the XF55-200 lens

Ramirez

Regular
I have the X-E1 as my X system camera with XF18 and XF18-55 lenses.
Earlier I've thought that I should add the XF55-200 lens to my Fuji X system as soon as it is available, but lately I've been starting to think about the X-S1 instead.

That's why I add this post in this category: the X-S1 as my long zoom lens instead of the XF55-200!

Otherwise move it to another forum category.

-------

My conclusions for this new thought:

1. The XF18-55 is all the range I need when I'm shooting inside in low light. Here is when the APS-C X trans sensor is needed mainly for my shooting. I don't really need longer zoom for this.

2. As soon as my upcoming X100s arrives at my "local store", 186 miles away (one way). I'd better buy what I need! (I live on the countryside)

(I could order online but I always trade in my older gear here and they give great credit... It would take longer for me to sell my old stuff from here too...)

So this time when I go to my "local store" I am going to get what I need in one time!

- The gear I'll get is:
Fuji X100s, XF35 lens and probably the X-S1 (as the price now is pretty low on that store for a new one)

-------

The reasons for getting X-S1 over the XF55-200:

- Wildlife and nature walks!

I've read that the X-S1 can tolerate some moisture and dust in the wild.
And as I will be out walking in daylight I won't need that light sensitive APS-C sensor in the X-E1.

And if there ever will be an XF??-600 something it will cost my lungs and liver...

------

This is my newest thought as I need to really organize everything about what I'm going to buy when I am at the store.

The shopping list again: X100s, XF35 and X-S1 (instead of telezoom lens for X-E1)

Need help from you who owns both an X system camera and X-S1!!
Could the X-S1 complement my existing kit as my nature camera in daylight?
What are your experiences of this combination?

As you know, I am shooting with the entire line of X series cameras, so it's not like I'd be prompted to defend one model or another. However, the X-S1 and the X-E1 are pretty different cameras. It's X-Trans vs. EXR. Now, if Fuji had an X-S2 with the sensor of the X20, I'd say "why not, go for it", as you'd be able to combine workflows and use the same shooting techniques. Personally, I am very much looking forward to the upcoming tele-zoom lens. By the way, you can crop a 300mm equivalent shot with 16 MP to a 6 MP frame that should be at least as good as the results from an X-S1 in 6 MP size M mode (which is the natural mode for EXR cameras).

Good point about cropping an X-E1 photo.

Just because I have to do these things, I checked and it looks to me like the X-E1 sensor is very roughly three times bigger in both X and y dimensions than the X-S1 sensor (i.e., nine times the surface area). With a 200mm lens on the X-E1, that's a "35mm equivalent" of 300mm. If we crop that down to the X-S1 sensor size (3X), that's about 900mm of zoom, compared to 624mm on the X-S1. Just an "area to area" equivalence comparison, not the whole story.

The megapixels need to be considered too. The X-E1 has 16MP. Cropping down by one-ninth the sensor area (i.e., 3X both ways), you'd have 1.8MP, pretty bad. I'd say 4MP would be a lower end for 8"X10" prints, which is a 2X crop of the sensor in X and Y directions. With a "35mm equivalence" of 300mm, the X-E1 can crop reasonably to 600mm equivalence at 4MP.

Compare that to the 624mm equivalent reach at either 6MP (EXR mode) or 12MP (more limited dynamic range compared to X-E1), and yes, the X-S1 has the edge for reach - IF the optics hold up at "624mm."

My guess is the 55-200mm will be noticeably sharper optics (although the X-S1 isn't terrible for sharpness).

So overall - the two could be a wash for the "approx 600mm" zoom limit.

The thing that made me think about the X-S1 was that I saw it for 399€. That and the moisture/dust sealing. A "cheap" camera that I can take for example to the beach or in bad weather where I wouldn't dare to take my more expensive X cameras.

Ramirez, 400 euros is great for a camera like the X-S1. Really good optics, great sensor, great features. Don't think you can go wrong, and my guess is you'll have a blast with it.

I'm tempted too ... but the EM-5 with an adapted four-thirds Pana-Leica 14-150mm is my "all-rounder." Dang!

"Ramirez, 400 euros is great for a camera like the X-S1. Really good optics, great sensor, great features. Don't think you can go wrong, and my guess is you'll have a blast with it.

I'm tempted too ... but the EM-5 with an adapted four-thirds Pana-Leica 14-150mm is my "all-rounder." Dang!"

That was what I thought :)

There was an old commercial: "Don't hate me because my hair is beautiful ..." Heh!

The PL 14-150 is gorgeous, but because of its weight and size, I won't often grab it. Also, I'll more likely put it on the E-500 or the E-1 than the E-M5. (That's not too bad though, because the E-1 and E500 are amazing in good light.)

What it does however is keep me from getting something I'd use more often - which is a bit of a shame.

Back to the X-S1 though - still Mighty Tempting!

As you know, I am shooting with the entire line of X series cameras, so it's not like I'd be prompted to defend one model or another. However, the X-S1 and the X-E1 are pretty different cameras. It's X-Trans vs. EXR. Now, if Fuji had an X-S2 with the sensor of the X20, I'd say "why not, go for it", as you'd be able to combine workflows and use the same shooting techniques. Personally, I am very much looking forward to the upcoming tele-zoom lens. By the way, you can crop a 300mm equivalent shot with 16 MP to a 6 MP frame that should be at least as good as the results from an X-S1 in 6 MP size M mode (which is the natural mode for EXR cameras).

Just as a matter of interest: Is there likely to *be* an X-S2? Or has Fuji decided to drop the X-S line entirely...

Back