Feedback Server Migration

Good to hear! When I click on things there is still a pause, but once the page load starts it happens really fast. I like Luke's new sig :).

Great to hear that performance is good in Serbia and Australia! (server located East Coast, USA)

Frankly, I wonder if it isn't just the servers choking down on the bandwidth until you decide to pay more. This site doesn't seem to have grown any that I can see. Do you have any sort of measurable metrics that explain the slowdown?

Frankly, I wonder if it isn't just the servers choking down on the bandwidth until you decide to pay more. This site doesn't seem to have grown any that I can see. Do you have any sort of measurable metrics that explain the slowdown?

I've wondered the same thing, but so far my experience with the host has been that they don't try and upsell. For example, several months ago there were some problems, and I sent them the following message:

My sites' visitors are occasionally getting MySQL "too many connections" errors. For example, my sites were unusable from ~midnight to 1AM EST last night because everyone was getting these errors. I was wondering whether my site's needs are exceeding our current hosting plan. If so, I would appreciate your advice about what upgrade we should consider.

They could easily have recommended a more expensive plan at that time, but they gave this reply instead:

The "max_connections" setting in the mySQL configuiration file was set to the default 200 connections. I've increased this to 500 and restarted mySQL. Would you like to try this out and let us know if you receive any errors tonight?

Likewise, when I first switched to this host and asked what plan to get, they didn't try to upsell me one bit.

Over the past couple days, they said the slowdown was because we were exceeding our CPU resources and sent me some graphs showing this. I asked again which plan to go with, A (more expensive) or B (less expensive), and they actually said B ought to do it. I asked why they aren't trying the upsell, and the guy said that competition is tough, and customers leave if they don't get good value.

I don't think our use has gone up a whole lot recently, but I think we have been exceeding our server resources ever since the E-M5 brought a lot of newcomers to Mu-43. S.C., TalkNEX, and Mu-43 are on the same server. Why it got slower in recent weeks I don't know, because none of the three sites had a big uptake in those weeks, but I think it's faster now than it's been in a long time.

Overall, I've been super happy with this host. There wasn't the slightest hiccup today from the server move, and the particular hardware we're using right now would have been way beyond what I could have afforded with our last host.

It's always a little weird paying for something that you can't actually see. Water usage bills I'm pretty sure are just random numbers pulled out of the air.

That's for sure.

Fyi - I'm still tweaking for speed. For example, I read that removing the rounded corners on page elements would make the page loads snappier, so you may have noticed that things like "Reply to Thread" are no longer rounded. With our new server, this site should be able to be super fast, and I want to get it there!

Back