1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Set-up Guide to Fuji X-T1?

Discussion in 'Fuji Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Mar 16, 2018.

1. I was holding out for the prices to come down on the Fuji X-T2, but found a used but not abused X-T1 body at a price that was too good to pass up.

I have an X-Pro 1 and a X-T20, so I have a bit of general familiarity with Fuji, but I can see that the X-T1 has a few significant differences. Can anyone recommend a quick set-up guide to the camera?

2. merlin

merlin Top Veteran

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
  3. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator Moderators Team

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    How do you like to shoot? Think of these categories and tell me how often you want to be able to directly tweak these things...

- Aperture control
    - Shutter speed control
    - Shutter type (electronic vs mech)
    - Film simulations, or Raw vs JPG for that matter
    - White balance
    - AF point (this is a biggie, think it over carefully)

4. Thanks for the help guys. I had the John Caz site -- should have looked there first.

To answer your questions, Kyle, I don't tweak things very much, other than the aperture. I mostly use auto ISO, shoot RAW+Fine jpeg, Astia (my favorite film), find that auto white balance on the Fujis works fine for most situations, and focus with the center point only.

I shot film with manual cameras for 35 years and still prefer to make all settings before bringing the camera up to my face.

By the way, the firmware on my new (to me) X-T1 is version 5.40. Is that the latest? Where do I go to find out these things?

5. merlin

merlin Top Veteran

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
  6. While we're on a roll, does anyone know how to get a shutter count on Fuji X bodies?

7. merlin

merlin Top Veteran

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    No way to do this, as with other camera systems (e.g. Nikon). Even if the EXIF lists something like that, it is inaccurate.

The number of the newest photograph might give some clue, but not necessarily accurate, as that can be changed in the menus.

8. Okay, next question: is it possible to set up the X-T1 to record my copyright data in the EXIF, as the X-T20 does?

9. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Cheshire, England
    Martin Connolly
  10. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator Moderators Team

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    With your shooting style, it sounds like you won't need to tweak too much from factory settings. That makes things easier.

11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderators Team

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Menu > [Section Set Up, the wrench icon] > Save data setup > copyright info

12. Great! Thanks, Luke. Are all the moderators around here super? You are super-helpful!

13. I don’t find copyright info under Save Data Set-Up.

14. merosen

merosen Regular

Apr 5, 2014
    Somerville, MA (Boston)
    Mark
    Copyright data isn't available on X-T1.
    I don't have it either.
    Probably added in the next next generation x-t20 etc.

15. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderators Team

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    whoops.....sorry about that. I thought it was on all Fuji cams.

I'm not looking so super now.