Fuji Shallow Question: X-T3 - Black or Silver?

I'd personally go for silver. There's an actual reason behind this, too: doing street portraits a silver body looks more toyish, perhaps, also prettier. With strangers it will likely extract more positive reactions.

If one doesn't do streets, then it's entirely subjective, methinks. The silver of XT3 is not as nice as the Graphite Silver of XT1. Would still get the silver XT3 in a heartbeat, especially when there's no extra markup in the price like there was with the 1...

I prefer the black bodies to the silver. Doing event work, my experience is opposite of Mike’s. The silver catches people’s eye much easier than black. Which draws their attention to the camera. That makes grabbing candids more difficult. I use black bodies with gaff tape over any white lettering when I’ve shot with XT bodies.

While I prefer black on black, I did find this exceptional X-T20 silver body a nice change. But, there are too many differences in colors with longer black lenses IMHO.

X-T20 and 18-55.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It looks very nice with the shorter 27mm though.
PB281192half.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
+1. When I had my silver ep5, my wife even told me that people were looking at it at the state fair... Also you get more reflections if you are shooting thru the glass. However silver is better with hot sun rays to reflect the heat...

I prefer the black bodies to the silver. Doing event work, my experience is opposite of Mike’s. The silver catches people’s eye much easier than black. Which draws their attention to the camera. That makes grabbing candids more difficult. I use black bodies with gaff tape over any white lettering when I’ve shot with XT bodies.

My biggest concern with silver or "panda" styled cameras is that it seems that the finish is not as durable as the all black cameras. I've had a Fuji X-E1 and Olympus EM5.2 cameras that have had the silver finish rub off. I've not really had that happen to any of the black cameras I've owned.

As far as preference goes, outside of the finish issue...I guess it really is all about what looks good to you.

My biggest concern with silver or "panda" styled cameras is that it seems that the finish is not as durable as the all black cameras. I've had a Fuji X-E1 and Olympus EM5.2 cameras that have had the silver finish rub off. I've not really had that happen to any of the black cameras I've owned.

As far as preference goes, outside of the finish issue...I guess it really is all about what looks good to you.

Now this is exactly what I thought might be the case. The old silver and black Minoltas and Pentaxes that I had in the 1980’s never had this problem.

I guess it’ll be the black X-T3 for me. Although I’d take the risk on a graphite one if they made it. Alas, such is not the case.

Back