Film Showcase Shanghai GP3 100 135

Name
Andrew
This film is a fairly new one out of China, with the early story on Emulsive.org written in 2019. It sounds like some of the earliest shipments outside of China had some QC issues, but I grabbed one last year from Blue Moon Camera out of pure curiosity. Shot inside the little Petri Color 35 and developed in 1:50 Rodinal 15 min. I really like the look of this film, it came out very sharp with a quite classic feel to the grain. My Color 35 wants to overexpose a bit, so there are some hot highlights on some of these but I wouldn't blame the film. I started using a yellow filter halfway through the roll but I'm not 100% confident which ones had it.

Untitled (4).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Untitled (5).jpg

Untitled (6).jpg

Untitled (7).jpg

Untitled (11).jpg

The negatives are a bit thin. They scan well, but the scanner doesn't have the easiest time determining where the ends of the frame are, which is rare with other film stocks. The base is a bit thin and curls heavily. It's not as pliable as some. The main issue I had when developing, however, was the bizarre design of the canister. It's basically two halves clipped together at the top and bottom, with the label covering the seams. This means you need to do some careful prep work before turning out the lights (cut the label along the two seams, and start to pry up the clips on the top) to avoid a lot of aggravation.

Untitled (13).jpg

Untitled (14).jpg

Untitled (15).jpg

I'd like to shoot some more of this stuff, but definitely would prefer to purchase a bulk roll over using the awkward (probably 3D printed) canisters the film is packed into. All I'm finding right now for 100' rolls are $75 on eBay, which is more than I'd like to pay for it, but I'll continue to watch. I think that from here forward I had the yellow filter on the lens.

Untitled (19).jpg

Untitled (26).jpg

Untitled (29).jpg

Untitled (31).jpg

Untitled (32).jpg

Untitled (36).jpg

Also must say I'm pleased at how the Color 35 is doing. I am getting sharp detail stopped down quite a bit, and good contrast even when it's opened up more and a bit soft. I like the character of this camera's lens, and it's fun to shoot. This film feels like a rather good pairing with the optics.

Back