Architecture Share: Architecture

I must have walked past this cottage hundreds of times in my youth and had never noticed the date on it, until I spotted it last week.

2403-50 EM10:3-14:42.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
2403-51 EM10:3-14:42.jpg

ZF0_0951.jpg

The destination of today's little impromptu outing: Habsburg Castle, the place where the famous Habsburg family originated who went on to rule most of Europe and huge parts of the world: Austria (from where they tried to make a grab for central Switzerland but failed, leading to the conflict with the Swiss Confederation), later the whole Holy Roman Empire on and off as elected emperors; Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium - and the whole of the Spanish Empire when it was a thing. In fact, it was a Habsburg monarch, Philipp II, who sent out the Armada against the forces of Elisabeth I of England ... Considering what the family would later aspire to, this castle is mostly remarkable by its demure appearance and small size. But it's already extraordinarily well situated from a strategy standpoint: dominating two major thoroughfares (a river and a major route) as well as overlooking the landscape to both the south and north. It's ideally suited as a raider's base, that's for sure ...

M.

Back