Architecture Share: Architecture

melonbread

Regular
Name
Jannette
I've always had an interest in architecture (hence why I'm trying very hard to earn that "Architect" badge), and love to see how other people see our built environment.

It would be great to see some pictures posted here of what people deem as interesting architecture (to them), be it an interior, exterior, ruin, modern building, etc.

To get the ball rolling I have a few pictures below:

Below, an interior shot of the Jewish Museum in Berlin, designed by Daniel Libeskind,

4.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jewish Museum, Berlin by Jannette Le (melonbread))

The Colosseum at dawn,
4.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Colosseum by Jannette Le (melonbread))

Last edited by a moderator:
Great new thread, thank you Jannette!

One of my first X100 photos - this is The Lifesaver Building in Port Chester, NY... Yes, it's where they used to make Lifesavers and when I was a little girl my mother took me to visit the factory which was really cool! We used to love to drive by and smell what flavor they were making. Pep-O-Mint and Choc-O-Mint were my favorites. The factory is landmarked but it's now a condo complex.

5711078957_0337ca164a_b.jpg

Love these. After I saw this thread I started looking over in-the-theme pictures of mine--taken with my wife's Panasonic P&S, I haven't had my own camera since my daughter "inherited" my Pentax DSLR--and the quality difference is just depressing. All the more reason to lust after the X20, I guess.

The gear doesn't make the photographer, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I've got some pictures that I really like in some ways, but aspects of the quality are problematic at best... Here's an example from Geneva, umm, last May, straight out of the camera. I took the same scene in black and white, but the blacks are essentially nonexistent....
P1050125.jpg

The gear doesn't make the photographer, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I've got some pictures that I really like in some ways, but aspects of the quality are problematic at best... Here's an example from Geneva, umm, last May, straight out of the camera. I took the same scene in black and white, but the blacks are essentially nonexistent....
View attachment 372

The X-series cameras are often touted for their dynamic range, but I would say that this scene could simply have had too much dynamic range to deal with. in order to expose the detail in the under-bridge area, the rest of the scene gets blown out. I'd like to see the B&W version. Perhaps if the photo was shot underexposed by a stop or two, there would be more shadow areas and then more blacks?, but then of course there would be as much detail under the bridge.

Actually, I kind of like the blown out bit in the sunlight (though more control over it would be nice, at least in hindsight). I suppose at some point I should learn some of the technical stuff (I once, long ago, was a budding photographer with pretty good knowledge of relevant technical issues when film reigned supreme; then life got in the way). Anyway, here's the black and white...
P1050126.jpg

Actually, I kind of like the blown out bit in the sunlight (though more control over it would be nice, at least in hindsight). I suppose at some point I should learn some of the technical stuff (I once, long ago, was a budding photographer with pretty good knowledge of relevant technical issues when film reigned supreme; then life got in the way). Anyway, here's the black and white...
View attachment 374
Yeah, that one looks like if you want deep blacks/contrast you may lose some of the blown out sunlight which you liked and some of the bridge detail. Still a nice capture though!

Great topic! I am nowhere near knowledgeable about architecture photography, but I wish I wish. Here are some X10 shots. Just old buildings, I'm afraid (I love the modern skyscraper with lots of reflection but haven't photographed yet with the X10. Perhaps with the XE1 or XP1 (still have to make up my mind).

2012-Normandie-097-XL.jpg

2012-Normandie-126-XL.jpg

Are inside shots allowed?

2012-Normandie-090-XL.jpg

2012-Normandie-092-XL.jpg

Nice pic,RT,where is that?
Looked it up.San Antonio.I ate breakfast there years ago, stayed at the Gunter Hotel.At that time there seemed to be an emerging art/warehouse district forming around there.Really neat area.I walked along the river by beautiful old southern homes called the King William district.I would love to go back and take pictures now.

Nice pic,RT,where is that?
Looked it up.San Antonio.I ate breakfast there years ago, stayed at the Gunter Hotel.At that time there seemed to be an emerging art/warehouse district forming around there.Really neat area.I walked along the river by beautiful old southern homes called the King William district.I would love to go back and take pictures now.

I've got a few King Williams homes shots....most not on a Fuji though...

Back