Architecture Share: Architecture

46685708751_6a25e61ea4_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
The Great Gate - Hampton Court Palace - UK2016-148 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Hampton Court Palace is a royal palace in the borough of Richmond upon Thames, south west and upstream of central London on the River Thames. Building of the palace began in 1515 for Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, a favourite of King Henry VIII. In 1529, as Wolsey fell from favour, the cardinal gave the palace to the King to check his disgrace; Henry VIII later enlarged it. Along with St James's Palace, it is one of only two surviving palaces out of the many owned by King Henry VIII.

The Chinese Tea House at William K. Vanderbilt's Marble House in Newport RI, overlooking the famous Cliff Walk. After his death in 1920, his first wife Alva would host Suffragette Movement Rallies here.

WTR-NPT-EOSM-2017-215-LREdit.jpg

29075144217_4d5edda560_k.jpg
Dôme des Invalides - PARIS-2018-24
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

2018 July France - UK holiday: The Dôme des Invalides, which contains Napoleon I's tomb, is the emblem of the Hôtel National des Invalides. A state funeral accompanied the return of Emperor Napoleon I's ashes, which were transferred to Les Invalides on 15 December 1840 while the tomb was being built.

Today the site is the Musée de l'Armée, a national military museum of France.

47163265641_244bb9f134_o.jpg
Villa les Roches - Langogne - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D4-2 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Our accommodation for the night in Langogne, the Villa les Roches. It is located about 2 km from Langogne on the edge of a valley and below the level of the D71 so very quiet and peaceful. There are lovely views down the valley and the accommodation is very nice and laid out. The sun rooms seen on each level in the image catch the afternoon sun beautifully.

Day 4 of 12 - Langogne - Le Cheylard l’Evèque: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

42503293850_4f18237a45_o.jpg

St Mabyn Parish Church Tower - UK2016-44 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

St Mabyn Church is a Grade I listed late 15th-century Church of England parish church in St Mabyn, Cornwall, United Kingdom. The church is dedicated to Saint Mabyn or Mabena, who was regarded in local tradition as one of the many children of Brychan, a Welsh saint and King of Brycheiniog in the 5th century

This building started life in Greenville, CA as a bank and I opened my first checking account there in 1963. Now it serves as a sheriff's substation and courtroom. The small building in back was a jail - a holding cell until prisoners can be transported the 22 miles to the county jail. I was almost put in there once in the 70s. It's now a storage facility for county property and confiscated items.

greenville-justice-court1710-05sm.jpg

42734658660_1de02b0239_k.jpg

Postcard from Paris - Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile - PARIS-2018-60 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Inspired by the Arch of Titus in Rome, Italy, the Arc de Triomphe has an overall height of 50 metres (164 ft), width of 45 m (148 ft), and depth of 22 m (72 ft), while its large vault is 29.19 m (95.8 ft) high and 14.62 m (48.0 ft) wide. The smaller transverse vaults are 18.68 m (61.3 ft) high and 8.44 m (27.7 ft) wide. Three weeks after the Paris victory parade in 1919 (marking the end of hostilities in World War I), Charles Godefroy flew his Nieuport biplane under the arch's primary vault, with the event captured on newsreel.

Back