Architecture Share: Architecture

45883270094_9f93658f87_h.jpg

Château de Beaufort - Goudet - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D2-20
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The Château de Beaufort is a ruined castle located along the upper reaches of the Loire River in France. It is near the village of Goudet in the département of Haute-Loire, in the Auvergne region. It was built in the 13th century and modified in the 15th and 16th centuries.

Built for surveillance and domination of the Loire valley, the castle provides an interesting example of how a 13th-century feudal castle could be adapted to the evolution of military construction, notable with the development of artillery. During the Hundred Years' War and the Wars of Religion it was of historical importance but after the French Revolution, it fell victim to a gradual abandonment which reduced it to the state of ruin.

Robert Louis Stevenson stopped here on his trip documented in Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes (1879).

"In this pleasant humour I came down the hill to where Goudet stands in a green end of a valley, with Château Beaufort opposite upon a rocky steep, and the stream, as clear as crystal, lying in a deep pool between them."

Day 2 of 12 - Le Monastier-sur-Gazeille to Le Bouchet-Saint-Nicolas: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

2021-01-23 (Sat) 15-00-18.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My new home from outside.

View attachment 245455
Then I'll huff, and I'll puff by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Quite an amazing structure, a barn I am guessing on the Cham de l’Hermet.

Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D9-07: Day 9 of 13 – Le Pont de Montvert to Florac: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.
Wow that IS remarkable construction. The archway has sagged down from the wall above but still looks like it could survive many more hundreds of years.

I watched 'Amazing Hotels' last night which featured the Shangri-La, housed more than half-way up the Shard. My conclusion; If money was no object and I wanted a great hotel in London... I'd go somewhere else. The views are the only redeeming feature.

L1011948.jpeg

51093594294_3a39fd5c9d_h.jpg

Wina House Chambres d'hôtes

Whilst this chambres d'hôtes just looks, well old (it was built in 1851) the interior photos do tell another story. In hindsight, this may have been a good overnight accommodation choice.

Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D10-09: Day 10 of 12 – Florac to Gare de Cassagnas: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (#GR70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

51118458679_1871bc1b20_h.jpg

Château de Montvaillant

We walked past this castle without any inclination to its history. It is unclear as to the age of the building, but historical records related to the land go back to 1243. A couple of snippets of its history (translated from French follow).

‘The estate remained in this family for two centuries and, in 1542, was entrusted to Sieur Claude Delaporte, merchant of Anduze, who remained the vassal of the Count of Beaufort and had to pay each year to the Saint-André, a sum of 10 floors held in hand, and two knees on the ground, without carrying a sword, to pay tribute to the Counts of Alès. This ceremony did last, since in 1634 the son of Auban and Catherine Delaporte, noble Jean de Petit, Lord of Boisset, paid tribute to the Countess of Alès, Charlotte de Montmorency.’

‘A family arrangement attributed the property to Mrs. de Montvaillant. The name Montvaillant already appears in Florac in 1579, while Jean de Castel, Sieur de Montvaillant, lived here, there is still a castle in Montvaillant in the Prunet Hall, a nearby hamlet of Florac. It was a "Rieu", a lawyer in the time of Louis XV, who bought the title from one of his descendants. The Rieu de Montvaillant family was known in Anduze and Mialet. The door of the castle still bears its coat of arms today "From the mouths 1 to three spears of gold in pal 2 summoned by three besants 3 likewise".

J. P. Rieu de Montvaillant was a magistrate, advisor to the Court of Nimes, and at the same time an artist, in love with painting where he excelled. His son, a lawyer at the Paris bar, was mayor of Boisset and Gaujac. A former fellow of Mistral, he was known for his poetic work. He died at the age of 79 in 1906 and his son Alfred inherited the castle he sold, to pay his debts in 1932 to a retired pastor, Mr. Brunel, who in turn sold it in November 1940 to Mr. Elie Cohen.

The castle, now a children's house, served during the war as a place of passage and refuge for many Jewish children, and then an association in Avignon made it a holiday colony.
In 1948, the Confederation of the Gard of Veterans and Victims of War purchased the property and turned it into a nursing home opened in 1952. It was bought in 1997 by the Works and Institutions of the Deaconesses of Reuilly (O.I.D.R.) which installed a House specialized in the reception of people with Alzheimer's disease.

In practical terms, as far as buildings are concerned, a stilt visible at the western corner reminds us that this house has a very ancient history.’

Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D10-14: Day 10 of 12 – Florac to Gare de Cassagnas: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (#GR70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

One of the newest areas in our city, Kalasatama, still under construction

ECA00593-756D-454D-B928-181B13C80DD1.jpeg

A70F47CA-77E3-4D6D-BA82-CB484B1604CB.jpeg

19080982-4AD2-426A-A715-5AA831AE3312.jpeg

FDD37578-C162-423B-BA7D-328A5F2CC1CA.jpeg

F89DE6A1-D252-4ECA-B081-E25EC35E80B0.jpeg

DEDA6208-C8F4-4724-8FFA-A519A82EA94F.jpeg

1E5756CF-4D98-42FE-8665-C09D5737C889.jpeg

Back