"Aviation Photo Thread" (Planes, Helos, Balloons, etc)...

I applaud your decision to call it a day, time for you and your wife to enjoy each other’s company.
When I retired from the U.K. civil Service at 60, in 2006, we made plans to travel and enjoy each other’s company, but alas my Mrs developed an incurable cancer in 2008 and passing away in 2010, Tony, I wish you and your wife many years of being together in mutual happiness!
Thanks Mike. I am sorry for the loss of your wife. Mine survived a bout with kidney cancer 6 years ago, although it cost her part of one kidney. So far, her follow-up screens have been clean.

I agree with Tim. I know I have 20-30 years left, maybe less. Time to move on and make the most of our final years together. She's not ready to retire, but I have a lot of things to keep me busy. I like to stay engaged. Hiking, biking, photography, building stringed musical instruments, pyrography. I've talked to several people who have retired from our facility, and they've all said their activities in retirement keep them so busy they have no idea how they ever had time to work. I have a feeling that will be me.

Reading about you lot retiring...
I still need to fill out another two years and a bit. (I'll be 67 by then :))
That's not bad. Time to kick back and enjoy life while you still can. I don't want to wait until I'm used up. There's thing I haven't seen or done yet. I want to retire while I can still see and do.:drinks:

Thanks Mike. I am sorry for the loss of your wife. Mine survived a bout with kidney cancer 6 years ago, although it cost her part of one kidney. So far, her follow-up screens have been clean.

I agree with Tim. I know I have 20-30 years left, maybe less. Time to move on and make the most of our final years together. She's not ready to retire, but I have a lot of things to keep me busy. I like to stay engaged. Hiking, biking, photography, building stringed musical instruments, pyrography. I've talked to several people who have retired from our facility, and they've all said their activities in retirement keep them so busy they have no idea how they ever had time to work. I have a feeling that will be me.
Yes it was devastating to lose my better half of 44 years, but as the saying goes life goes on!
I do know that after retirement there are just not enough hours in the day get it all done, the people you talked to are quite right!

Keep your old shots that weren't that great, they're good for Lessons Learned and amusement years later.

The good: Helo in 3/4 view, rotors are lightly but clearly blurred, rappellers are properly outlined and even have all their limbs in view, in action.
The bad: Where I'm sitting (which is why I now beg and plead for press passes)
The Ugly: Oh fer - why oh why is there a Yellow Tent and a Red Flag next to each other? :cautious:

Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lakotas and Sea Stallions. It'll be interesting to see how the Navy figures out the "K" upgrade situation. The Es are long in the tooth and figure prominently in several bad operational accidents.

Some hot refueling ops happening over the past few days.

DSCF0298.JPG

DSCF0301.JPG

DSCF0304.JPG

DSCF0306.JPG

DSCF0307.JPG

DSCF0309.JPG

DSCF0310.JPG

Venerable Sea Stallion. Hopefully to be replaced by the K version soon - those birds are in tough shape. The Corps is almost done buying Ospreys, but now they're refurbishing them to the new Common Config baseline. The Maintenance Troopie's job is never done...

Nice surprise to hear from another controller ; we're as rare as hen's teeth.
I worked for the UK NATS for 42 years at the UK's Major Airports and Centres then retired at 60 although we can stay longer.
It's a young man's game though.
I somehow missed this when you originally posted it. About a third of our facility were not even born when I began working there. At 60, I'm the oldest by a minimum of 4 years.

Back