"Aviation Photo Thread" (Planes, Helos, Balloons, etc)...

Venerable Sea Stallion. Hopefully to be replaced by the K version soon - those birds are in tough shape. The Corps is almost done buying Ospreys, but now they're refurbishing them to the new Common Config baseline. The Maintenance Troopie's job is never done...
Indeed. We have one parked on the tarmac that landed there and maintenance issues kept it from departing.

DSCF0365.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF0366.JPG

DSCF0368.JPG

Neat shot! That formidably armed nose kind of reminds me of...

What type of aircraft have you shown us and where did you see it?
The plane is an A 26 (if I remember correctly) used by the Marines in the Pacific during WWII. Armament includes two 20mm canons, six 50 cal. guns, and four 30 cal. guns. The plane is part of the Commemorative Air Force and was at Kingsville NAS airshow a few years ago.

I think that might be the deluxe model. I was curious and looked up the history of the SG-38, and found that in most pictures the pilot is perched on what looks like a very flimsy chair, with zero protection from the elements. The version in your picture looks quite civilised by comparison!

-R

I think that might be the deluxe model. I was curious and looked up the history of the SG-38, and found that in most pictures the pilot is perched on what looks like a very flimsy chair, with zero protection from the elements. The version in your picture looks quite civilised by comparison!

-R
Thanks for your interest, Richard !
As this is the only version I have ever seen in my life, I am at a loss when it was built or rebuilt that way.
To get some information I just now phoned Bernd Heuberger from Baden-Württembergischer Luftfahrtverband e.V. (BWLV) at Stuttgart. He promised to get some information from the old hands still among us and concerned with gliders mainly made out of wood. I expect some surprise and will post about it in time.

Back