Share Trains - Depots - Trestles - Stations

Leica M8_00829.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Larry, I've always been surprised that the Chinese didn't copy the "kookaburra beak" that the Japanese have retrofitted to all their VFTs, after studying the aerodynamics and fluid dynamics of said bird when it penetrates the water.

The Japanese move seemed very sensible to me.

Very nice photo.
Hi John, sorry for the late reply.
the photo below (from a website) shows the the latest model of the CR train in China, which is apparently different from the CRH trains shown in my photo. No idea if this CR aerodynamic design "borrows" Japanese "kookaburra beak" concept design?
82Z8-hnyuqhi5535064.jpg

Hi John, sorry for the late reply.
No worries, Larry.
the photo below (from a website) shows the the latest model of the CR train in China, which is apparently different from the CRH trains shown in my photo. No idea if this CR aerodynamic design "borrows" Japanese "kookaburra beak" concept design?
View attachment 348591
General info about the Shinkansen system here:

This one, the Shinkansen N700A, has a nose design based on the kookaburra's beak, I think. I saw a documentary on TV about it a year or so ago.

1280px-Series-N700A-F20.jpg

(See licence conditions on page referenced above photo).

Also lots of info about Chinese theft of intellectual property ...
So, what's new?

The Christmas specials on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway were a good opportunity to test out my Black Friday purchase last Saturday.
P1000252_DxO.jpg
P1000266_DxO.jpg

P1000503_DxO.jpg

P1000387_DxObw.jpg
P1000607_DxO.jpg

Back