Share your Year End Stats

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
I've got a similar thread over on mu43.com so started one here too. Feel free to chip in and share your stats too.

Still about 36hrs to run in 2020 but I can't see my numbers changing much. I suspect 2021 will see more of the same but fingers x-ed it is super boring and uneventful :laugh1:

No real surprise - using my Oly stuff mostly but the Pentax K-5 has been a real sleeper hit, particularly with Macro stuff.

50777061133_441fd38f3a_o.png
2020-stats-1
by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Trying to make a much more conscious decision to keep the ISO low, staying in the m43 sweet spot aperture-wise and it appears I've been using manual-focus lenses a lot (to be fair I haven't noticed if my Pentax K/m42 adapted or Nikon non-AF lenses pass through Exif data on their native bodies so this may be badly skewed (I have certainly been using the adapted 200mm f4 Micro Nikkor *a lot* on the E-M1). I'm also wondering why the Oly bodies don't pass manual lens Exif through given you add it into the IS profile?

50777929912_7b93dbc35e_o.png
2020-stats-2

Amusing to see the Covid-19 NZ lock-down in my photo timeline (late March easing through June/July) - lots of WFH over winter and minimal photo opportunities!

50777819316_fa677ee64e_o.png
2020-stats-3

No surprise on the lens front, I picked up the Oly 17mm f1.8 so have been putting that to use as an everyday carry type of lens on the E-PM2. Also the Pana 20mm is a staple and the Oly 60mm is always on one body or another for macro purposes. Looks like my Exif stats app doesn't correctly parse the Nikon or Pentax data for the lenses which is annoying - I should see if there is an update available. From memory the Nikon has mostly been the manual 55mm or 200mm macros or more recently the 28-105mm AF-D zoom and on the Pentax its mostly been the 100mm macro.

50777929987_fa23230533_o.png
2020-stats-4

Looks like I've gone the entire year without getting any film developed either, judging by the lack of the SP-3000 scanner in the stats. Will have to rectify that for 2021.

Had to get a new stats app, the old one worked but seemed to have issues with parsing the EXIF data (and annoyingly I can't get/see the new version as the App Store no longer has it available in my region - thanks Apple!). To be clear, these are stats based on images I've exported and put into flickr, I've probably taken several times more photos than these stats would indicate; these are mostly the keepers.

Looks like I exported ~1200 pics over 2023... lot of D700 action as I used it to image my dads old slides with the macro slide-adapter; E-M1/E-M5 and the K-3 had a good work-out too. I need to use my Z6 a lot more...

53432318803_0cd7cfd878_o.png
Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 3.56.24 PM by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

The Macros did a lot of heavy-lifting (Oly 60, Nikon 50 and Pentax 100) with the Pana 14 doing a lot of general-purpose work...

53431245782_56e34b552d_o.png
Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 3.55.19 PM by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

53432170146_8269249b61_o.png
Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 3.58.31 PM by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Mostly shot in the Aperture mid-range (f8 or below) and tried to keep the ISO low

53432495349_c0f2f912e9_o.png
Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 3.54.31 PM by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

53432170151_f988685162_o.png
Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 3.50.16 PM by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

And I kept out of the Antipodean Autumn & Winter, shooting mostly in the Spring/Summer months

53432318898_c3d7803b3d_o.png
Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 4.00.53 PM by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

No film-scanners making an appearance this year. Been almost 3 years since I last got a roll developed, will need to rectify that going into 2024 and get a bunch of rolls developed and scanned.

Last edited:
I'm horrible with charts, but I do mess with data quite a bit. I've got Linux/Bash scripts that scrape EXIF data from all the shots in my keeper directories (shots that made it past the 1st cull.)

I have an Excel workbook that I use as my control panel. A place for stats where I can also call file utility scripts.

The keepers by month lets me know if I'm getting out enough.

I keep a running total of my gear usage. A few years ago I tried pretty much every Canon-mount lens I could find used for less than $700. My records tell me I went through 40 lenses. The chart let me see which lenses were making keepers, and which ones got left at home.

Not as useful now -- I've settled on a pretty standard kit -- but I still find it interesting. The code for pulling the data is still in place, and I watch the numbers every time I update it, see if anything surprises me.

Capture.JPG

The standard code only tracks currently owned gear. I slowly switched to mirrorless this year, but the conversion is pretty much complete. Here's the gear data from all the stuff I used in 2023. The numbers show that I hardly ever use my ultrawides. That's why I didn't replace them with RF versions. I'm really missing that EF 70-300 L.

Capture3.JPG

I pull a ton of EXIF data from the files into an Oracle database with an Access front end. I mainly use it to get info on individual pictures, but all the data lives in the back end, so it's easy to get aggregated data by writing a little SQL.

Capture2.JPG

I shot 11101 pics this year, up from 6898 last year, but not actually.

The last 4K photos in that tally was mostly shot over a two day stint up in Northern Norway, working on Puffins with the OM-1 with the high speed drives engaged, so with those deducted, and not counting an additional 4K(ish) paid events shots, I am approximately at the same number as last year give or take a few 100s.

I shot 11101 pics this year, up from 6898 last year, but not actually.

The last 4K photos in that tally was mostly shot over a two day stint up in Northern Norway, working on Puffins with the OM-1 with the high speed drives engaged, so with those deducted, and not counting an additional 4K(ish) paid events shots, I am approximately at the same number as last year give or take a few 100s.
I got a new mirrorless bird kit and the first time I had the whole thing out I shot 3000 frames of sandpipers. There is no reason to do that ever. If that happened by accident, I'd consider it a defect. And it kinda did and I almost do. My new cameras are too damned fast.

Thank you @phigmov for your post as this is a prompt for me to review what I've been up to in 2023 and also revisit my 2023 New Year's resolution "Don't buy anything else until - I've fully used what I've got, then keep what works, and sell what doesn't, then identify any gaps, and try something else." and think about 2024.

I've done a spreadsheet of the folders I've created in 2023 and the number of JPEGs in there as a proxy* for what I've kept. (*this will exclude all culled images from burst modes plus have duplicate JPEG edits but they will be offset by yet to process RAW files). In summary I've kept nearly 40,000 images of which 75% are motorsport related and 25% everything else. I've used 16 different cameras of which I've currently got nine so have sold seven so think I've followed my 2023 resolution. In the year I've also discovered the benefits of RAW (to get the most out of what I've got) and the IQ benefits of a FF sensor.

My most used lenses have been an Olympus 75-300 replaced mid year by a Panasonic 100-300ii, Tamron 100-400, Panasonic 14-140, Sony 28-60 and odd use of other mainly kit zoom and cheap prime lenses. These have been supplemented in the last few months by a Panasonic 100-400, Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 and Tamron 20mm f2.8.

The exercise has made me think about my 2024 resolution which will need to be "Don't buy anything else, even though it may be a "bargain", until - I've decided whether I really need all of my cameras and lenses. Plus I need to be more selective in what I shoot and keep".

1704189197686.png

The chart posted above really surprised me since I owned the iPhone less than half of 2023. And since the phone is always with me I thought the above would also have more meh shots from the phone than with the cameras. Filtered for 1 star and above to remove the meh:
Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 2.27.47 PM.png

Then a look back at 2022 using the same criteria:
Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 2.30.24 PM.png

Things really are changing for me. Three years ago I would not have believed it is someone told me I would be shooting with a phone more than a camera. Looks like 2024 is the year that will happen.

The chart posted above really surprised me since I owned the iPhone less than half of 2023. And since the phone is always with me I thought the above would also have more meh shots from the phone than with the cameras. Filtered for 1 star and above to remove the meh:
View attachment 440993

Then a look back at 2022 using the same criteria:
View attachment 440994

Things really are changing for me. Three years ago I would not have believed it is someone told me I would be shooting with a phone more than a camera. Looks like 2024 is the year that will happen.

Appreciate all the contributions so far to the stats thread! Its an interesting time to reflect on what was used and what was most fun to shoot and what was worth keeping.

How do you find the RX100 as a pocketable camera companion compared to the iPhone ?
Its interesting to see people on the forum try some different options (recent throwbacks like the Casio Exilim, Pentax MX-1, Nikon 1, Pentax Q etc) - almost shows that its not really the gear but a combination of what you have on you and what you enjoy shooting.

How do you find the RX100 as a pocketable camera companion compared to the iPhone ?
The RX100M6 was a fantastic camera from a technical standpoint. Everything about it was fantastic, except, I didn't enjoy shooting with it at all. I tried adding the Sony grip to get a better feel but it didn't help much. Great camera from the technical standpoint; produced fantastic images, just mot fun. As far as being pocketable I would rate it higher than any camera I have owned other than the Canon Powershot S95 and S100. It is not as pocketable as a phone though; the iPhone comes out of the pocket easier than the Sony.

Ultimately I made the decision to send the Sony down the road and spent a ridiculous amount of money on a new iPhone. I was very skeptical about the phone as a daily shooter. In October my wife and I took a two week vacation out west. I took my Panasonic gear and the iPhone. Turns out the Panasonic gear stayed in the bag.
Stats for the vacation:
Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 4.56.06 PM.png

I did not expect this.

Last edited:
I got a new mirrorless bird kit and the first time I had the whole thing out I shot 3000 frames of sandpipers. There is no reason to do that ever. If that happened by accident, I'd consider it a defect. And it kinda did and I almost do. My new cameras are too damned fast.
That must create a very daunting situation, when deciding which ones to delete...I could imagine I'd give up, and delete or keep all, and edit none, in defeat.

I don't have any fancy ways to measure my camera usage, but of around 2,000 edited photos for 2023, there wouldn't be 100 taken with my phone. Now, my phone is in my hand way more hours in the day than is healthy, but using it as a camera is still not something I enjoy.

That must create a very daunting situation, when deciding which ones to delete...I could imagine I'd give up, and delete or keep all, and edit none, in defeat.
Nope, I went through them one by one. If you're not willing to do that, then what's the point? Each and every one was, indeed, different. I probably won't do that again unless it's very much on purpose.

I did a little experiment and wrote it up here:
I was out on a blustery morning and decided to do a burst-speed trial. I'm fairly new to the mirrorless world and the high-speed, electronic shutters baffle me some, and frankly, scare me a little bit. The times I've turned it up to full blast, it feels like I'm firing out of control. When I get back and start culling images, it seems like I have a million shots. The baffling part is why I would ever do that? Today I went out in a controlled environment and let it rip, emptied the clip, filled the buffer.

So what are we looking at? A sheet of stamps? No. With my Canon R7 set to full electronic and the H+ speed setting, I got 72 images before missing a beat with a UHS-II card. It felt like it took about 3 seconds. That would be 24 FPS. The advertised 30 FPS would work out to a 2.4 second burst. That could have happened. Maybe somewhere in between.

Either way, that's too damned fast. With the work I do, I can't imagine ever needing that.

The collage below is on an 8x9 grid. Let's say it took 3 seconds to expose them all. That means every 9-image column, top to bottom was shot over 3 seconds. If I had my camera set to 3 FPS, I'd get one column, 9 images, over 3 seconds. I bet I could find one exposure in every column of this grid that would fit my needs. I don't need 8 columns worth of images to cull.

View attachment 443469

Back