Fuji Sharpest Fuji lens?

Hi,

I drool at the X-Pro1 and the dropping prices and really want to buy one now on "outgoing" prices. I just want one prime with it, total focal length 25 to 50 mm (not longer than 50).

What is the recommended lens? I rate sharpness highly (not only center) and fast aperture is a solid plus. Is the 35mm F2 where it´s at?

I am used to Olympus lenses (MU 4/3), would the recommended lens be on par with the Olympus primes?

The sharpest Fuji lens is the 90mmF2.
Runner-up should be the 16mmF1.4.
The upcoming 120mmF2.8 is supposed to be super-sharp, too.
The 56mmF1.2 is pretty sharp, too, even wide-open.
23mmF.1.4 is also very sharp (not my old PP copy, though, but I just got a new production sample)

Nothing super-sharp in the 25-50mm range that I'd know of.

There are only 3 Fuji primes in your range, anyway: the very good 27mmF2.8 and two 35mm lenses. Also both very good. Then there are two Zeiss Touits (32mmF1.8 and 50mmF2.8) that are also very sharp (but not optically corrected for distortion) with high micro contrast.

35mm f1.4, stunningly sharp lens and a perfect partner to the X-Pro1.

I use this combo for street work and normally shoot wide open - absolutely razor sharp and with the latest firmware the camera and lens are fast and quiet so perfect for street work.
I was tempted with the new 35mm f2 but have read a few posts about dust entering the elements so glad I went the other way and currently I think Fuji are still doing the rebate.
You can see some of my images with this combo here - 571 Photography: Bristol

I use the 18mm f2 witch gives me 28mm.
Also the incredibly sharp 35 mm f2 producing 53mm.
Just added an adapter so I can use my nikon 10.5 fisheye.
I can shoot pretty much anything when traveling or street shots. Can carry all of this in my pockets.
But for one lens I would highly recommend the 35 mm f2.

Yesterday I ordered the 35 F2 to accompany my newly bought (used) X-Pro1 with 18/F2. It was difficult to decide between the two 35 models, the 1.4 is occasionally available used with the same price tag as a new 35/F2. I went with the latter due to newer construction design, but it was a toss of a coin, really. Thank you all for contributing to my thread, I am now in Fuji land...

It doesn't set records on MTF charts but I love the output of the 14mm 2.8.
That and the 35 F2 are my bread and butter.

I sure would love a small, light and cheap 70mm F2.
That would be just lovely.

The 35/1.4 for me... The f2 is nice as well, except for me it´s very bothersome that the lens profiling doesn´t work in RAW of the X-Pro2 with Capture One. And the barrel distortion of the f2 is just plainly horrible... While it´s absent in the 1.4. And that one, even though it focusses rather slow, is bleedingly tack sharp..

If I was looking for a single prime it would be the XF35/1.4. I know the 35/2 is supposed to be sharper but the 35 focuses more closely and based on the images I got from the 35/1.4 and the X-E1 I don't know that I need it to be any sharper. It's a sweet lens.

Back