Ricoh Shooter's Unabridged thoughts and feelings about the GXR

So, with your EVF can you change the display like on the screen?

Whatever you have on the LCD is on the EVF when you select EVF. So if you have the LCD set with no information displayed, (I believe there are 4 possible views that can be displayed on the LCD when you cycle through the options with the DISP button) so when you've chosen the one that's blank any data that is what you'll see in the LCD. Then when you press the shutter half way you get the Focus Mode, Aperture, Shutter and ISO.

Hmmmm, that's too cool but I ain't sold yet.
The guys up on the bug thread have my grands interest. He wants me to make real photos not the street junk. The EVF would be nice with the macro on the 50.

So what settings are you interested in? We work different so settings may not be compatible...dunno?

Was just curious. I've got mine set pretty much how my GRD were set so I wouldn't be lost between the two. I'll have to think a bit how I want to do my MY1-3 settings even if I bother. Its just too easy to change things on the fly. But I've been shooting mostly in Aperture Priority. I really like how I can change the ISO with the ADJ lever dial, Aperture with the front dial. I have Fn1 set to Focus, Fn2 set to Manual Flash Amount (I like the option to use Fill Flash with Manual Flash). Then I have the five options with the ADJ Lever when its activated: ISO, Images Settings, Image Quality, Aspect Ration and Tracking/AE.

GXR no editing involved here

Nothing special here other than no post processing whatsoever. This file was a DNG in Aperture and uploaded to Flickr via the Flickr plugin and image optimized for the web. No editing whatsoever in Aperture. None, nada. I'm stoked about this gem. See you later DSLR.

6202579146_1ee2b5eefb_z.jpg

Was just curious. I've got mine set pretty much how my GRD were set so I wouldn't be lost between the two. I'll have to think a bit how I want to do my MY1-3 settings even if I bother. Its just too easy to change things on the fly. But I've been shooting mostly in Aperture Priority. I really like how I can change the ISO with the ADJ lever dial, Aperture with the front dial. I have Fn1 set to Focus, Fn2 set to Manual Flash Amount (I like the option to use Fill Flash with Manual Flash). Then I have the five options with the ADJ Lever when its activated: ISO, Images Settings, Image Quality, Aspect Ration and Tracking/AE.

That's about the same as my setup but I have fn1 for snap/af and fn2 for metering. Sometimes I like to go to Spot but normally I'm in Multi. The My settings I don't use for the same reason, it's to easy to change things on the fly.
I, like Ray was concerned about the DOF due to the larger sensor than the GRD but it's a non issue. A mode, Snap focus, well.....click!

Ok Don, now that you've had 24 hours or so with the 50mm and if you were in my shoes (no M mount lenses laying around and wanted options to go longer) would you buy the A12 50 or the M mount and have option of some lesser priced Voigtlanders?

The A12 Lenses are excellent. I like being able to us AF when I want. I don't consider it an option but a necessity. I see ok for my age but using AF is one less thing to think about.
I'll stay with the dedicated stuff. So I guess that answers the question.
There's a few good deals on the A12's on eBay at the moment.

Well I have to get my Nikon kit sold before anything else happens. I'm very happy with the GXR. Amazing kit for its size. Much easier figuring it out having the GRDIII next to it.

BTW, where's some of those 50mm shot?

I have a few 50 shots from yesterday. I wanted to hit the street today but it's chilly here and so far I feel lazy. I still have to give the S10 a workout....

I have not used my GXR A12 50mm in a while, but I was reviewing some older photos from it today and, boy, is it a great camera. I have it in my bag today...

Yes, it's the 50mm. DNG f4.5 1/1620. Imported to LR and exported straight out with no changes at all. Having a crystal clear sky surely helps though!

Lightmancer, I'm in the delightful Frimley so Guildford is not far from me either :)

Lightmancer, I'm in the delightful Frimley so Guildford is not far from me either :)

LoL! That makes two of us :) I'm less than a mile from the FPH :D I treat Guildford as a "target-rich environment" whenever I want to try out new kit - a photogenic town, with lots of interesting people. Have a look at my Guildford sets on Flickr. Frimley, though undeniably delightful (and restaurant-packed!) has less to offer ;)

Someone just sent me an email asking if I've heard anything about a rumored 28mm F2.0 with image stabilization using the GR IV engine. Has anyone heard this rumor ?

Haven't heard that one but it seems a 24-70 A unit is in the works.
I'd love a faster lens but high ISO is a breeze so I don't miss the extra stop.

Back