Ricoh Shooter's Unabridged thoughts and feelings about the GXR

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
So I had about 2 hours today to hit the street. The GXR took me for our maiden voyage.
I didn't have that virgin anxious feeling with the camera. I guess it's partially due to my experience with other Ricoh cameras most notably, the GRD cameras.

09-11-0201-Edit.jpg

The camera struggled with me but I was the happy content fool that I always am.

09-11-0205-Edit.jpg

It's definitely a serious camera for the serious shooters. It kinda makes you not think but just trust yourself and it and be intuitive. I didn't read the manual.

It even does color. Imagine that, my camera doing color....hmmmm

09-11-0209-Edit.jpg

I used the A12 28mm because that has the most appeal for what I do and how I see.

09-11-0210-Edit.jpg

The GXR has an almost benign presence. It really kinda disappears in the crowd and thus you do also.

09-11-0211-Edit.jpg

The camera thinks faster than I do and it led me to this image. With a viewfinder, I couldn't do this stuff. The mere sight of a camera at the eye, immediately raises a flag to the subject.

It's a very fast machine. It's extremely responsive and intuitive, I love the feel of it in my hand but I never notice it's even there, neither does the subject....well, let's not get carried away shooter...

09-11-0212-Edit.jpg

09-11-0219-Edit.jpg

09-11-0231-Edit.jpg

What I totally enjoy about not using a finder is the interaction that comes without fear, anxiety and paranoia from my subject or myself.

09-11-0233-Edit.jpg

This woman is the only one who reacted to me pushing a lens in her face. After I made the exposure, she called me over to ask why I made the photo. I walked back gently and said..."I can't resist the face of a beautiful woman". She smiled and told me I was a crazy SOB. I smiled and walked away with a photo I really like.

09-11-0236-Edit.jpg

I only had about 2 hours to work and have another 10-20 decent images. I wasn't out to work but just to rest myself with the camera.
Please feel free to post any and all GXR related images, thoughts, comments etc on this thread. We all need to support each other or no one ever gets anywhere....ya can't do nothing alone except be lonely....
Don

Very nice images and very recognizably yours Don. But you don't usually come back with so many from a relatively quick shoot, so something must be meshing well between you and the camera. A couple of questions though - are you using snap focus much or using the AF? I use snap focus a ton with the GRD3, but don't know that I would with such a large sensor with it's reduced DOF. Also, does that 28mm module have a silent shutter?

Nice shooting, regardless!

-Ray

Thanks Ray. Actually I have more to do.
Anyway, the camera is dead quiet. Not a peep to be heard. I use Snap most of the time. It has more distance settings then the GRD. The interface is almost identical but a few extra features.
The DOF is not an issue. When you change fstops or shoot distance, the DOF scale shows what's going on. The GRD does the same thing but with the additional choices, it's nice.
Tomorrow I'll take the 50 out and see what happens.
Don

Stan. I read your post on the other thread. Your sooo right. 28-35-50 is nirvana.
So until Ricoh makes the 35 lessor, the Fuji is kinda safe. The GXR is one rock n' roll camera. I have a lot to write but first I have to do the 50 to get a feel. I have always used a 35 on my M's. Around the last year that I did film I started carrying an M3 with a Cron on it. My vision was wanting to get tighter. I hope that feeling wakes up with the GXR.

Jason my friend, thank you ever so much.
Don

Stan, Raw files imported to LR. Then I usually adjust the Clarity slider. It's the most important thing in the processor. Then I open the file in Silver Effex 2 and do all different things. It depends on how the image reads to me as to what I do in there and it's usually never the same for each image. I don't use presets as I don't want a stamp appearance to the images. The the file comes back into LR for sharpening. Every camera needs different settings and I find so far that this one needs around 50. Not bad. Then into PS5 for sizing and the matt installation. Then back into LR for export to various locations.

Long answer but that's the way it is. Please post when you get your camera tomorrow. As your Pentax stuff is walking out the door, tell them not to sweat cause the GXR is now a cousin...
You'll see.....

Great series, but the first one is my favorite with a "3D" look. How does AF speed and accuracy of the two lensors compare and also relative to the X100?

You're a bit good at this street photography stuff aren't you!! I wish i had the balls to photograph people but i just can't do it very well so i take my hat off to you!!

Awesome images as per usual. Thanks.

Lovely images, and very interesting to hear your thoughts on your experiences using the camera Don.

I've been been thinking for a while now that the GXR might be my next photographic partner so for me this thread is going to be fascinating.

Somehow I've got the idea that you have the M module (or is it coming? Or am I just confused?) ... so it'll be good to see what happens then

(I'm not adding congratulations for the shots because it seems so superfluous ... that eye of yours speaks for itself ... he said, mixing his metaphors horribly)

Thanks all. I haven't posted to many thoughts yet. I will after I test the 50. I don't see the M module. I have my ways and not willing to change on this issue. The interface is unequaled by any camera. There is no wasted space on the camera, yet nothing is crowded.
More later, hopefully a 50 test this afternoon.

Don, I saw a bunch of these on Flickr last night...but not that first one which is, if I had to pick, I think my favorite so far - there's a real depression era feel, akin to the WPA days...

I look forward to reading and seeing more, but I'm with Jason - you could get a wonderful image from a 1mp camera of any kind.:th_salute:

Back