Ricoh Shooter's Unabridged thoughts and feelings about the GXR

I saw one of these for sale recently that was fitted with the 28-300mm module, but I figured that if I wanted that lens/sensor I'd just get a CX instead. I want to want one of these, but it's still a few APS-C lensors short of being a system for me. There is so much potential and flexibility in the GXR if they could create modules to tap into existing AF lens systems.

Hey... Yeah all your GXR shooters... Get off yet butt and start putting images up...
Yes Duane.... That includes you...!

You're killin me Don! I was on the phone with my father-in-law last night (lives in Warminster) and told him my situation (he's a camera nut too). He told me I didn't have any round ones!!!!!

BTW, I think the Color Efex Pro 4.0 is killer.

Fedex dropped off the 50 20 min ago.
We have ignition. Now, I just gotta find some stuff to try it on.
A few quick snaps showed on the screen that the lens is very sharp and contrasty.
Images to follow......

Nic, find one. You'll be glad ya did. Your idea about adapters should actually be in the works. If they now have M lenses, why not others. It could work similar to Nex & m43.

Ok, so fair is fair. Now youse all know me to be a quiet, reserved, relaxed patient guy. It's true..it's true....
Ok... So I love the camera but it's stupid sometimes. I figure it did read the manual about me so I didn't read it's manual. Afterall fair is fair...
I'm making some photos and all the sudden... This magnified view was on the screen. I said to myself, Shooter, the camera has a sense of humor like you.

I pressed all kinds of buttons... I pressed combos of buttons...still a magnified view. Sometimes a center block and then... The whole fram was magnified. I thought, this would be great with MF. I wonder if Ricoh knew about this...

I got perturbed and shhhhh Yes, I did it... I caved in and low and behold Ricoh did know about this. Guess what! They even put it in the manual.
Unreal.... I couldn't believe my eyes.
Ok... Ok. that's the secret code.
The saga continues....

What I totally enjoy about not using a finder is the interaction that comes without fear, anxiety and paranoia from my subject or myself.

Thanks for the review and nice images Shooter! Too bad you no longer have a need for that Sigma viewfinder, but its for a good reason. ;) (actually, you could use it with the 28mm module couldn't you?)

Do you ever shoot blind without LCD or VF? I find it quite easy to mentally picture the 28mm framelines within a reasonable degree of accuracy, you can't get more stealth than that (real Daido style!)

Max, the finder works nut not for me.
Hipshots, yes I like it. Back around 1974, my friend Paul Cava was using an M4 and I watched him doing hipshots but from all angles and heights. The purist I was, smiled and thought...what a moron.
He insisted I try it with my M4.

The idea was that I'd have a new freedom and new discoveries in the darkroom.
It worked well. I'm about 90% accurate with a 35mm FOV. The 28... well...
we don't have to talk about this anymore.
Don

Don I was going to buy a GXR when i was looking for a new small camera. It's a shame they took so long to release the 28mm module. It was the lack of a 28mm fast prime that turned me to the GRD 3. Keep posting your thoughts about it, unless I run into you on the street first.

Mike, if you want to try the GXR, let me know... We walk the same path, just at different times.
I'm on the 0900 train to Atlantic City tomorrow. Good place to give the camera a workout...
Don

I saw one of these for sale recently that was fitted with the 28-300mm module, but I figured that if I wanted that lens/sensor I'd just get a CX instead. I want to want one of these, but it's still a few APS-C lensors short of being a system for me. There is so much potential and flexibility in the GXR if they could create modules to tap into existing AF lens systems.

Actually, I'm going to revise this statement somewhat. While a few extra lens options wouldn't hurt, I realise I don't need the GXR to be a "system" since I'm not looking replace an existing system or add a new one. It actually looks pretty cool just as it is.

Back